NELSON FORT: Louisville, Jefferson Co, corner 7th Street and Ohio River.
NEW HOLLAND: Jefferson Co; settled before 1784. Date and location uncertain.
NONSENSE FORT: Bullitt County.
OLD TOWN: Former name of Harrodsburg.
OLD TOWN: Greenup Co; the scene of a great battle of Indians.
OWEN’S STATION (Bracket Owens): Near Shelbyville; settled 1782.
OWINGS’ STATION: On the road from Lexington to Paris.
PAINT LICK STATION: Garrard Co, near Madison County line.
PAINTED STONE: Uncertain location but believed to be another name for SQUIRE BOONE’S STATION on Clear Creek, near Shelbyville, Shelby Co. It was Boone’s military headquarters in June 1780.
PARIS: Formerly HOUSTON’S STATION, Bourbon Co. Established 1780 under the name of Hopewell, then Bourbonton and finally Paris.
PETTIT’S STATION: Lincoln Co, 2 ½ miles from MONTGOMERY’S STATION, on headwaters of Green River and 16 miles SE from LOGAN’S FORT.
PHILLIPS’ FORT: Larue Co, on north side of Nolin Creek, 1 ¼ miles from Hodgenville. Settled by Phillip Phillips 1780-1.
PITTMAN’S STATION: Green Co, on the right bank of Green River, near the mouth of Pitman’s Creek, 5 miles west of Greensburg, settled fall of 1779 or spring of 1780.
POND STATION: McLean Co, 4 miles SW of Calhoun; 1790.
POPLAR LEVEL: Jefferson Co, before 1784.
PORT WILLIAM: Now Carrollton, Carroll Co. At the mouth of Kentucky River, laid out in 1792, a blockhouse built in 1786-7 by Captain Elliston.
REED’S STATION (John Reed): near Danville; same as GIVENS’ STATION.
REDSTONE FORT: Now Brownsville in PA. Listed because it was on the Monongahela River and was the most frequent point where emigrants from PA and the east and many from VA and MD took navigation to KY.
ROGERS’ STATION: Nelson Co, near the Beech Fork, 1780.
ROGERS STATION: Towards STRODE’S STATION, Clark Co.
RUDDLE’S STATION: On east bank of South Fork of Licking River, 3 miles below the junction of Hinkston and Stoner’s branches, about 7 miles from Paris in Bourbon Co. Settled in 1777 by Isaac Ruddle who was captured by the Indians; station destroyed in 1790 and rebuilt by John Hinkston and others and then called HINKSTON’S STATION.
RUSSELLVILLE: Logan Co., settled 1780.
ST ASAPH – or LOGAN’S FORT: Lincoln Co, 1 miles west of Stanford, 1775.
SALT RIVER GARRISON: Before 1780.
SANDUSKY’S STATION. On Pleasant Run, Washington Co. Settled by James Sandusky or Sodowsky in 1776. In 1786 or 1787 he moved to Cane Ridge in Bourbon Co and settled another station which was probably Cane Ridge.
SCOTT’S STATION (John Scott): 5 ½ miles NW of Cynthiana, Harrison Co.
SCRIVNER’S STATION: Madison Co.
SHALLOW FORD STATION: Madison Co.
SKAGG’S STATION: On Brush Creek, Green Co, about 1781.
SLATE BLOCKHOUSE: At the old Slate Furnace, Bath Co, about 1788.
SMITH’S STATION: On road from Danville to mouth of Dick’s River.
SPRING STATION: Jefferson Co, between FLOYD’S STATION and Louisville; 1784.
STATION CAMP CREEK: In Jackson and Estill Counties.
SQUIRE BOONE’S STATION: Shelby Co, near where Shelbyville now stands, on Clear Creek, a branch of Brashears’ Creek, settled 1780 or before.
STATIONS ON BEARGRASS CREEK: Six in 1780, population of 600 men.
STEUBEN FORT: Falls of the Ohio in 1780, originally called FORT FINNEY, now Jeffersonville IN.
STEVENSON’S STATION: On Paint Lick Creek, probably in Garrard Co.
STOCKTON’S STATION (George Stockton): in sight of Flemingsburg, Fleming Co, 1787.
STRODE’S STATION: 2 miles from Winchester, Clark Co, 1779.
STROUD’S STATION: Mason Co, on North Fork of Licking, mouth of Strouds Run, 1785. Also spelled Strode.
STURGUS’ STATION: Jefferson Co, on or before 1784. Later called A’STURGUS STATION.
SULLIVAN’S STATION: Jefferson Co, on Beargrass; 1780.
SULLIVAN’S OLD STATION. Before 1780, Jefferson Co. 5 miles SE of Louisville on the Bardstown Road. Elisha Applegate who was still living Nov 1872, was born there in 1781.
SULLIVAN’S NEW STATION: Jefferson Co, before 1784.
SULLIVAN’S STATION (Daniel Sullivan): Jefferson Co, before 1784.
SUMMIT STATION: Nicholas Co, 12 miles from Lower Blue Licks.
TANNER’S STATION: Where Petersburg now is, Boone Co, 1785.
TANNER’S STATION (John Tanner): 6 miles NW of Richmond.
TANNER’S STATION: Lower Blue Licks, Nov, 1784.
TAYLOR’S CREEK STATION: Likely in Campbell Co on Taylor’s Creek. John Campbell lived there.
THOMPSON’S STATION: Settled by Robert Thompson 1780; on the Middle Fork of Elkhorn, 3 miles below Lexington, Fayette Co.
TODD’S STATION: Jessamine Co, not far from Keene and about 10 miles SW from Lexington. Settled by Levi Todd 1779 who later removed to Lexington as a safer place.
TRIGG’S STATION: 4 miles NE of Harrodsburg, Mercer Co, on Cane Run. 4 miles from mouth at Dick’s River; settled 1780 by Col. Stephen Trigg. Also called Viney Grove because of the number of large grapevines. John Haggin lived there and sometimes this was called HAGGIN’S STATION.
TWETTY’S FORT: The first fort in Kentucky, 5 miles south of Richmond, 1775.
TYLER’S STATION: Named after Capt. Robert Tyler, on Tick Creek, 4 miles east of Shelbyville.
UPPER BLUE LICKS. See BLUE LICKS.
VANCE’S STATION: On Green River, 15 miles from its mouth, before Apr 1780.
VANCOUVER’S FORT (Charles Vancouver). In forks of Big Sandy River, settled 1789, abandoned 1790.
VANMETER’S FORT (Jacob Vanmeter), Hardin Co, before 1790.
VIENNA STATION: McLean Co, falls of Green River, now Calhoun.
VINEY GROVE: See TRIGG’S STATION.
To be concluded next week.
© Copyright 3 Feb 2011, Sandra K. Gorin