As for whether they were "officially" married. Probably so. Frankey (Frances) Lea Whitely was a widow. Is noted in "Virginia Ancestors & Descendants, Lee Families" - I believe land records indicated sale of land also but will have to look.
What I have shows Frankey had 3 children by her first husband, William:
1. John Whitely, b. abt 1800
2. Mary "Polly" b. ab5 1804
3. Sarah b. abt 1808
Children of 2nd Marriage to William Owens:
1. Jane b 1819 - married Wm. Grigsby Feb 18, 1836 (11 children)
2. Frances "Frankey" b. 1821 - married Thomas Grigsby, Jan 6, 1837 (10 children)
3. William Jr. b 1822 - married Frances Caudill (sold their land & moved to Madison Co. AR abt 1857) (7 known children)
4. James b. 1824 - sometimes erroneously listed as son of Reese - married Rachael Campbell (sometimes listed as Rachael Combs) (8 children)
5. Harvey b. 1826 - married Jan 5, 1843, Polly Combs.
I have not proved all of these connections. Most are not in my husband's direct line. But I would be happy to try to find records for ones important to your research.