MARRIAGE RECORD from Palo Alto county, Iowa:
George Gappa married Mary Brenska; their son
JOHN GAPPA, 30, born in Prussia but now of Fairfield township -- married -- TILDA KLEIGL, 20, born in Wisconsin but now of Fairfield township, daughter of George Kleigle and Mary Domek; married on May 31, 1885 at Whittemore, Kossuth county, Iowa, by Rev.D. F. McCaffrey.
N.B.: In the 1915 Independence township state census, John said he had been in the United States for 35 years, and, in the State of Iowa for 35 years.--Walter Farwell
WHITTEMORE CHAMPION. September 16, 1931. "JOHN GAPPA DIES AT FAIRMONT. Long Time Resident of Fairfield Township Ill Short Time".-- Whittemore friends were grieved the first of the week to learn that John Gappa, a long time resident of Fairfield township, had died at Fairmont, Minnesota. Mention of Mr.Gappa's illness was made in these columns last week. At the time he was taken ill he was visiting at the home of his son, Charles Gappa, northwest of Whittemore, and it was thought then that his condition was serious, and he was moved to his home as soon as possible. He continued to grow worse until the end came. Mr. and Mrs. Gappa lived northwest of Whittemore for a number of years, retiring a few years ago and purchasing a home in Fairmont. That place has since been their home. It is understood that funeral services will be held Thursday morning at Fairmont. An obituary is not available for this issue.
WHITTEMORE CHAMPION. September 23, 1931. -- Several Whittemore relatives and friends were at Fairmont, Minnesota, last Thursday attending funeral services for John Gappa, mention of whose death was made in these columns last week. Mr. Gappa was nearly 80 years of age. He was born in Germany and came to America when 31 years of age. He worked as a farm hand for some time and later started farming for himself. In 1891 (sic) he was united in marriage with Miss Matilda Kleigl. Ten children were born to them, nine of whom survive. They are
1. Charles (Roman -- ? -- who was born circa 1886. W.F.) who lives on the home place in Independence township;
2. John, (born circa 1892. He married Josephine Haag, daughter of Peter and Josephine (Bonstetter) Haag from Guttenberg. W.F.)residing at Hollandale, Minnesota;
3. Herman (born circa 1900. W.F.)of Chicago;
4. Leo (born circa 1903. W.F.)of Independence township;
5. Mary -- Mrs. C. Hanson of Crystal Lake, Minnesota;
6. Rosa -- Mrs. Otto Hanson of Independence; (Palo Alto county birth records show a child born on Aug. 18, 1918.--W.F.)
7. Martha -- Mrs. Albert Walz of Hollandale; (Palo Alto birth records show a child born on March 21, 1918 to Martha Adalowse Gappa and Albert Henry Walz.--W.F.)
8. Elizabeth (born circa 1896. W.F.)of Hollandale, Minnesota;
9. Miss Leona (born circa 1907. W.F.)Gappa, who is at home with her parents.