from reprint of Â“Clarke Co. HistoryÂ”, Lewis Pub., Chicago, 1886. p. 187
JOSEPH W. DANIEL is one of the early settlers of Clarke County, Iowa, having located in Doyle Township in the spring of 1856, where he has since made his home. Mr. Daniel is the son of John and Lucy (Hite) Daniel, the father born in Mercer County, Kentucky, February 22, 1804, and the mother a native of Shelby County, Kentucky. They left their native State in 1829, removing to Putnam County, Indiana, the mother riding on horseback and carrying their few effects, while the father walked by her side, Putnam County being at that time principally inhabited by Indians and wild animals. They had a family of ten children, of whom Joseph W., our subject, was the eldest, he being born in Putnam County, Indiana, July 16, 1830.
The parents came to Clarke County, Iowa, in the fall of 1856, where the father died in November, 1866, the mother surviving her husband till September, 1874. Joseph W. Daniel was reared to agricultural pursuits, and has made that his lifeÂ’s work. His education was obtained in the log-cabin schools of his day, which were then taught by subscription.
He was first married December 20, 1849, to Mary E. Witt, a daughter of Booker Witt, and to this union were born ten children, nine of whom survive - John M., Emma, Charles P., Albert, Eva, William H., Ella, Elijah and Mary E. Mr. Daniel has ten grandchildren, his five eldest children being married. Mrs. Daniel died December 6, 1877, and Mr. Daniel was again married February 11, 1879, to Mrs. Ann (Kellogg) Wetherell, daughter of Albert B. Kellogg, of Kewanee, Illinois, and widow of Albert H. Wetherell.
Mr. Daniel came to Clarke County when but little improvement had been made, and he has witnessed the many wonderful changes which have taken place since that time, being identified with the growth and advancement of the county during the past thirty years. His home farm is on section 18, Doyle Township, where he is devoting his attention to farming and stock-raising. He has been prosperous through life, owing to his industrious habits and excellent management, and is now the owner of 1,065 acres of good land. He has held the office of county supervisor three terms, and has served his township as school director and trustee. Both he and his wife are members of the Christian church and respected citizens of Doyle Township.