Search for content in message boards

Crampton/Keltner family

Replies: 1

Re: Crampton/Keltner family

Posted: 1569530462000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crampton, Keltner
I believe you have the wrong Henry Crampton or wrong birth year here.

There are a number of Henry Cramptons in the western NY Ohio Indiana area at this time. Sylvester was born in 1812 or 1822 depending on the record cited. Henry was born in 1811 going by his headstone and most records though one census has him older.

Henry Crampton 1811-1877 came to Indiana from Lockport NY in the mid 1830's. Sylvester and he were in Elkhart at that time. I presume they were brothers as they married the Keltners - presumably sisters - at about the same time (1837 for Henry and Sally Ann, 1842 for Sylvester and Melinda).

History of Carroll County Indiana has a history of Adelbert Bernard Crampton - known for his CIvil War service and editorship of newspapers.

His father and mother are noted with Henry's father cited as 'Ezekiel' - of Scottish heritage having served in the War of 1812 with his father serving in the Revolution.
NO records for any 'Ezekiel' Crampton have been found though it is likely the lines goes back through NY following the Erie Canal - to Rutland Vt where a number of Crampton/Cramton's moved from Connecticut where the line first arrived from England (the English/Scottish border is the home of the surname).

Sylvester was a farmer in Illinois while Henry was a carpenter who worked first on steamships and then railroads. Henry appears to have been married 3 times. with William, George and Adelbert (all serving in the CIvil War, George dying in the War0 and two daughters Amelia and Mary Alice (M Olmstead) Amelia appears to have died young and may or may not have married the same Olmstead as her sister (records are at times in error). Alford/Alfred born to the third wife (name unclear) in 1857.

Sylvester Crampton has one son, Henry M b 1844 and 5 daughters

My tree - Kenna-Heins 12-30-2012 has much info on this family as my direct line goes back to Henry.

John H
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dodie52 967493423000 
jmheins 1569530462000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic