Search for content in message boards

Ora Edgar Kern dies at Kokomo, Indiana, aged 55 years.

Replies: 0

Ora Edgar Kern dies at Kokomo, Indiana, aged 55 years.

Posted: 1303147000000
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 1303147170000
Surnames: Kern, Cole, Lett, Liggett

POPULAR VETERAN OF STAMP WINDOW SERVICE DIES FRIDAY FORENOON. -- At the Kokomo postoffice, the wicket of the west stamp window is closed and darkened, and on its front hangs a ribbon bound wreath -- silent but impressive reminder that Ora E. Kern who had officiated at that post continuously the last thirty years is no more.

This faithful and efficient veteran of the local postal service, whose smiling countenance and courteous manner had been liked by all local postal patrons who had come and gone from his window during his entire service, died at 8:40 Friday morning at the Good Samaritan hospital where he had been a patient since last Monday. As soon as word was received at the post office that he was gone, his fellow postal workers reverently closed his window and hung thereon the wreath. The window will remain closed until his body has been laid to final rest.

WORKING A WEEK AGO
A week ago, although he was not feeling well, Mr. Kern was working. Only Friday night of last week, his condition became acute and alarming. He was suffering from an infection, he having removed a wisdom tooth. Complications had started. He remained at his home on East Sycamore street until Monday when he was transferred to the hospital. From then until the end he wavered between improvement and relapse. Family and friends were swept with alternating waves of hope and fear. Finally a cerebral hemorrage closed his suffering.

Ora Edgar Kern was fifty five years of age. He was born on what is known as the old Sipe farm in Howard township, near Zion church. There his boyhood was spent. The family removed to Kokomo thirty five years ago. Ora was graduated from the Kokomo high school and thirty three years ago entered the postal service as a clerk at the local office, beginning his duties under J. A. Kautz, then postmaster.

TAKES STAMP WINDOW
Thirty years ago because of his agreeable manner and fortunate knack in handling stamp patrons, he was placed in charge of the stamp window. There he remained through all his succeeding years, always ready with a cheerful greeting, always unhurried but always prompt with service. He was a popular figure with all patrons. His position gave him a wide acquaintance. All who knew him will bear him in pleasant memory. None will have happier recollections of him than his fellow postal workers.

Eight years ago he married Miss Inez Cole of Greentown, who with one son, Edgar, survives him. Other surviving relatives are his parents, Mrs. and Mrs.Henry M. Kern, 1011 East Taylor street, one brother Harry E. Kern, 1712 South Washington street, and one sister, Mrs Frank Lett of Bunker Hill.

His only fraternal connection was with the Knights of Pythias at the local lodge of which he was held in particularly high esteem.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

N.B.: The only identifying information with this obituary is incidentally included therein: There are no dates, nor is the newspaper identified. BUT, obviously it was a paper printed at Kokomo, Indiana.

This obituary was sent to me about fifty years by a cousin of Senator John Worth Kern. Her father was a brother of Senator Kern's mother, Nancy Liggett Kern. Unfortunately, I never looked at it very closely until recently, so I never realized the deceased was not of Senator Kern's immediate family. Now, I am about the oldest member of this branch, and there is no one of whom I can ask for further information. Although I cannot identify Ora E. Kern, there is but little doubt that he was known to the Liggett's of Fremont county, Iowa, and that he belonged to Senator Kern's family. -- Walter Farwell

Find a board about a specific topic