Search for content in message boards

Flynn Family in Greene County IN

Replies: 0

Flynn Family in Greene County IN

Posted: 1493499575000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Flynn, Johnson, Smith, Gough, Wright, Flinn
For the last few years I have been trying to sort out my Flynn family in the area of Stokes, Surry, and Forsyth County NC. As a result of that effort, like many other researchers, I have noted that several Flynns from this area migrated to Greene County IN. I have also discovered several things that are not commonly seen in other Flynn genealogies, and I would like to share these discoveries. Records and notes supporting my findings are on my Flynn Davis family tree at Ancestry. Meanwhile, here is a summary of the key items of interest.

First, Josiah Flynn, George Flynn, and Mary Flynn, who married Alexander Johnson, all moved to Greene County from the Surry/Stokes NC area. Many genealogies identify their father as Laughlin Flynn, but the evidence that I have found does not support this. Laughlin Flynn died abt 1825 in Morgan County IL, leaving a will naming a son Josiah. This Josiah does NOT appear to be the Josiah who moved to Greene County. Josiah, son of Laughlin, lived in Morgan County and Cass County IL, and according to the location of Josiah’s land grants in 1826 and 1835, his land was on or very near the Morgan/Cass county line. This Josiah appeared in the Morgan County census in 1830. This Josiah died in Cass County in 1835, and his tombstone can be seen on findagrave. A bio of his son in “A Memorial and Biographical Record of Iowa” (Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1896) found on Ancestry provides additional detail about the family, which the records support. Meanwhile, Josiah Flynn of Greene County was in Surry County NC in 1830, and appears in the census there (just a few households from Alexander Johnson). Land and tax records support Josiah’s presence in Surry County also at this time. And of course the Greene County records show that this Josiah Flynn from Surry County lived long past 1835, when Laughlin’s son Josiah died.

Second, Laughlin Flynn’s census records do not support children the ages of George Flynn and Mary Flynn, both born between 1800-1810. Laughlin is listed in the 1810 Surry County NC census as Leonard Flynn (he appears in records in this area as Laughlin, Leonard, Linn, and any number of similar variations). A Laughlin Flinn is in Cumberland County KY in the 1820 census with no one the ages of George and Mary, both who would still be minors in 1820. George and Mary in fact appear to still be in NC, where each marries and where George appears in several records in the 1820's before moving to Indiana.

Third, it appears very likely that Josiah Flynn, George Flynn, and Mary Flynn (m. Alexander Johnson) were children of Thomas Flynn, the presumed brother of Laughlin Flynn. I also believe that my ancestor Thomas Wright Flynn was another child of Thomas Flynn. Thomas Flynn was married to a daughter of Gideon Wright (as was Laughlin), which may account for Thomas Wright Flynn’s middle name. I have a story on my Flynn Davis tree on Thomas Flynn’s record (also on the records of his possible children) showing all the reasons that these folks might be Thomas’s children, and therefore will not go into detail here.

Next, Surry County NC court records suggest that Josiah Flynn’s wife Caty Moser was the daughter of John Moser and Mary (Polly or Molly) Smith, daughter of Daniel Smith. I have posted a story on Caty’s record with the details. Note that Mary Moser is listed adjacent Josiah Flynn in the 1830 Surry County census.

Last, George Flynn appears to have had a daughter Jenetta with first wife Celia Gough. Jenetta Flynn appears to have remained in Stokes County NC after Celia died, and was probably raised by her Gough grandparents. More detail on this is on my Flynn Davis tree.

As the Flynns are notoriously difficult to sort out, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who is researching this family, especially if you have additional information, and certainly if you have corrections to my findings.

Find a board about a specific topic