Search for content in message boards

William Robert Taylor 1806 Kentucky 1870 Grant County, Indiana; Robert Taylor 1829 - 1863

Replies: 1

William Robert Taylor 1806 Kentucky 1870 Grant County, Indiana; Robert Taylor 1829 - 1863

Posted: 1467820067000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1467821360000
Surnames: Taylor, Hoppes, Drook, Caylor, Hullinger
William Robert Taylor has Find A Grave memorial # 110472499 which includes the following summary of his life as of this date. Search this Board for William Robert Taylor 1806 for other posts regarding my search for his family since late 2011. Below this bio is the one I have written for his son Robert Tayor # 110469303.

William Robert Taylor Bio
William is very well documented for an early 1800's man. Two census records say he was born in KY in 1806. His son William Preston's bio says he was born in Frankfort, Kentucky in 1798.

Genetic evidence says he was related to Matthew Tayor, husband of Catherine Hullinger, of Sims, Grant, IN and Robert Taylor, husband of Marillis Drook, of Indiana and Illinois both with connections back to Preble Co, OH. There is only circumstantial evidence that William was related to the TAYLORs of Union Twp, Fayette Co, IN including Edward (# 131884249).

His 1827 marriage to Mary "Polly" Hoppes is recorded in Fayette Co, OH. His son William Preston's bio and son John's obit says William came to Indiana in 1841. The History of Grant County Indiana book page 19) says, "William Taylor settled the Martin Pence farm where Delphi road crosses Taylor's Creek at an early day; a child of his was the first buried in the Pence Graveyard [Silas d 1841]. Martin Pence bought Taylor out about 1847. After Martin Pence bought William Taylor out he went and settled the Jake Drook farm in 1847 [Jacob Drook m Nancy, William and Mary's dau]."

From Biographical Memoirs of Grant County, Indiana 1901, page 546, "William and Mary Taylor, were among the first settlers of Richland Township, if not the first, as William Taylor made a treaty for his land with the Indians. William R. Taylor was the first settler in Richland township, was an Indian trader, and built his cabin where Fink’s machine shop [east Converse, Grant Co] now stands and where he set out his orchard. His death occurred at the home of Mr. Drook [husband of Nancy Tayor] in 1870." The farm was not the one in section 33 of Richland Twp, Grant Co, which William first settled in 1840. I believe he was buried in the Drook Cemetery which was established by John Drook in 1860 on his farm in section 22 where Jacob and Nancy Drook were living in 1870. John Drook died in early 1870.

He remarried in Dec 1851 in Howard Co, IN to widow Mariah Robey who had a dau Rosetta Robey; Rosetta #45999750 used the Taylor surname.

Two of his son's obits say there were 9 sons, 11 children in total. So he and Mary probably had 11 children; in addition to the 9 below there were Abraham, a twin to Isaac, and a son I refer to as Robert2. All of these are discussed in the Hoppes family history by Ed Hoppes and, other than Robert2, in William Preston Taylor's biography.

Robert Taylor Bio
Robert and Rebecca's lives are a bit mysterous. I find no clear evidence of Robert in the census or other records before 1850.

He should be shown in his father's family in the 1850 census - William Tayler (Taylor) p 8, Jackson Twp, Howard County, Indiana. This is adjacent to Jackson Twp, Miami Co, IN and Richland and Sims Townships, Grant Co, IN where various family members are until 1900. However the Robert shown in the 1850 census has the wrong birth year.

He is also mentioned in his wife's parents' will litigation in Fayette Co, OH in the 1850's. Their wedding is recorded in Jay Co, IN in August 1850.

He and his family at the time are in the 1860 census p 9, Sims, Grant Co, Indiana. Robert and Rebeca were killed by Indians in 1863. There are many probate records in Jay Co, IN from 1863 to 1883 regarding the guardianship of Robert's uncle John Hoppes (whose wife Sarah was the kids' aunt) over William, Mary, Nancy and Sarah showing details of their lives after their parents' deaths.

Regarding Robert and Rebecca's demise, in an August 7, 2013 email Sharon Young Ross wrote, "My mom, Ruby Merle Taylor Young, told me this morning on the phone, that her grandpa Jesse Robert Taylor, told her what happend to Robert and Rebbeca. She is 92 years old and she said, "My grandfather Jesse Robert told me they were both killed by Indians. This is why the children were orphaned and were sent to live with aunts and uncles. This is why there are no graves or evidences of their deaths."

Mom said that Robert and Rebecca were killed between Indiana and Kansas, but she was told they were killed by Indians as they came into Kansas to return to their children; they were moving to Kansas."

L. Edwin Hoppes in his Hoppes Family History dated 1982 refers to Robert on page 34, "Robert Taylor, probably born about 1840, may have been the 6th child of Wm. and Polly Hoppes Taylor. As previously noted, there is some confusion in the available information. A Robert Taylor, 5 years old, is shown in the 1850 census of Howard Co., Ind; however he did receive a small inheritance from his grandfather in Fayette Co. O in 1858, indicating that he must have been at least 18 and at that time he was married to a girl named Rebecca and was residing in Wabash Co., Indiana." Since two of Robert's brother's obits say there were 9 sons it is possible there was a son named Robert and another son with Robert as a middle name with these two being confused by the census taker.

One big unanswered puzzle in his life is how he came to own the 40 acres he and his family were living on in 1860 in Sims, Grant, Indiana, and who was the B. Taylor who owned the land in 1860 according to the 1860 Sims Twp historical map? The property was the NE quarter of the SE quarter of section 21. B. N. Leisure is shown as the owner on the 1877 land map which is consistent with the record of its sale by John Hoppes, Jr. the kids guardian. According to the 1860 Sims Twp map this 40 acres was owned by B. Taylor in 1860, with the 80 acres next door owned by I. Tayor.

More in my LRAYVICK1 tree in Ancestry under username RAYVICK51

Ray Vick
LRAYVICK@cox.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RayVick51 1467820067000 
RayVick51 1560438092000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic