SOURCE: pp.936-938 of Jehu Powell's 1913 "History of Cass Co. IN"
GEORGE H. LYNAS. The life work of the late Dr. J. B. Lynas, of Logansport, Indiana, whose death occurred January 28, 1901, was the founding and developing of a business that has become one of the principal industries of the city and is of national reputation. Entering upon the manufacture of proprietary medicines in a small way, only as an accommodation for his numerous patients, in the alleviation of whose ills he had spent many year, he found that instead of retiring from active life, as he had planned, he was but entering upon a still more strenuous career, and one which was to make his name known all over the country. The business, thus started in a humble way, has grown and developed, until its agencies are found from coast to coast, and its products, which first included only certain medicines of the doctor's own compiling, now cover a wide range of household necessities.
Dr. J. B. Lynas was born in Dearborn county, Indiana, February 14, 1835. In 1862 Dr. Lynas was married to Miss Sarah E. Reed, who was born in Wisconsin and who died in Logansport, January 18, 1911. George H. Lynas, son of Dr. Lynas, and the present directing head of the great enterprise that bears his name, was born in Logansport, January 10, 1874, educated in the public schools, and at the age of eighteen years entered his father's business, with which he has been connected to the present time. His administration of its policies has served to advance the business in no small way, at the same time following his father's strict rule of honorable and upright dealings with the thousands of agents working for him. He was married October 31, 1905, to Miss Ethel Hanawalt of Logansport. Dr. J. B. Lynas received his preliminary education in the public schools of Henry county, whence he had been taken by his father when five years of age, and after spending some time in the study of medicine received his diploma from the Eclectic Medical School, Indianapolis, in 1874. At that time he entered upon the practice of his profession in Logansport, and during the years that followed built up a wide and representative clientele throughtout Cass county. It was the desire of Dr. Lynas, however, to retire from active practice, but at the same time to meet the wishes of his patients, and accordingly he started to manufacture remedies which he had used in his practice and which he had found successful in the relief and cure of many diseases. At the start he foresaw the extent that this business was destined to grow to, but it was not long before the merit of his goods caused the demand to exceed the supply that could be manufactured in the limits of the doctor's home, and accordingly, in 1884, he established a laboratory at No. 409 Fourth street. During this time the business began to extend outside of the limits of Cass county, and when it began to reach out into other states the firm purchased and moved to No. 210 Sixth street. Dr. Lynas was the dominating factor of this great organization until his death, and his wise administration of its affairs made him on of Logansport's best known business citizens, but even after his demise the business continued to grow, and in 1904 was incorporated under the name of Dr. J. B. Lynas & Son, with a capital stock of $100,000. In 1906 it was found necessary to again seek larger quarters, and accordingly they purchased and located in the present factory and laboratory, at Nos. 517 and 519 Market street. Here Dr. J. B. Lynas & Son have a well equipped building, fitted with the latest improvements and appurtenances, the utmost care being taken to preserve sanitary conditions. The products now include, in addition to the well known J. B. L. medicines, all kinds of spices, teas, sachet powders, fruit colors, toilet articles, toilet soap, extracts, perfumes, stock preparations and miscellaneous articles. The J. B. L. trademark is a guarantee of absolute purity and excellence, and the agents of the company located in all parts of the United States are instructed at all times to replace any article that is not satisfactory, thus, without flaring newspaper advertisements the confidence of all users of these J. B. L. products are gained. It is this policy of giving customers the benefit of honorable and upright dealing that has had all to do with the phenomenal success of the enterprise. The first officers of the incorporated company were George H. Lynas, president, and Sarah E. Lynas, vice-president and treasurer. At this time George H. Lynas retains the presidency, while Dr. J. F. Noland is treasurer, and R. C. Overmeyer is secretary. April 1, 1913, there was between fourteen and fifteen hundred people working for J. B. Lynas & Son. they are located in nearly every state in the union. At the above date they were employing additional workers at the rate of about sixty per month. To take care of this fast increasing business, many traveling representatives, as well as a large office force, are required.