Search for content in message boards

Ephraim Cline and Margaret Wilks/Wilkes, early to mid-1800s Indiana

Replies: 0

Ephraim Cline and Margaret Wilks/Wilkes, early to mid-1800s Indiana

Posted: 1468516031000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cline, Wilks, Wilkes, Olinger, Armstrong, Hughes, Brown
Hello. I am working on a theory the Margaret Cline, b 1804, KY, on the 1850 Fed Census for Carroll County, IN, with her daug Mary Ann, b 1830, IN, and son John W, b 1836, IN, is the same person as Margaret Wilks, b 1804, who on married Ephraim Wilks, b abt 1810, VA or IN. Ephraim Cline is noted in Quaker records as having died May 23, 1843, Parke County, IN. The same Quaker log lists the death of ‘Infant of Eprhaim and Peggy Cline’ in 1842.

The Margaret Cline of the 1850 census is my 4 gr-grandmother. Sometime between 1850 and 1860 she would travel to Iowa, where she would die in Maxwell County, in 1873.
Daughter Mary Ann, my 3 gr-grandmother, married Christian Olinger, b 1825, TN, on June 10, 1851, (his second) and would eventually settle in Iowa. Mary Ann passed away in Story County, Iowa, in 1909.
Son John married Amelia Amanda Brown in 1856, in Iowa, where he died in Maxwell County, in 1874.

The marriage of Margaret Wilks and Ephraim Cline took place March 4, 1827, Harrison County, IN.
Their daughter Caroline Cline, b 1828 (would marry Rev James Hughes)
An ‘Infant of Ephraim and Peggy Cline’ is listed as having died as ‘(illegible) 1842’ in the same Quaker register that would then list Ephraim’s death May 23, 1843, Parke County, IN.

The birthdates of Margret and Ephraim’s known children, 1828 and about 1842, do fit with the dates of my 3 gg and her brother, 1830 and 1836.
The given names of Ephraim’s parents were John (Cline) and Mary Ann (Armstrong), same as given to my 3 gg and her brother.
The numbers & age ranges for the children of Ephraim Cline on the 1840 Federal Census in Parke County, IN, do fit with ages of their known children and my 3 gg and her brother.

I do wonder about neither (my) Mary Ann or John W using the name ‘Ephraim’ for a male child, but thought perhaps they had reason not to. Then, (last night), I found the Parke County ‘Genealogy Trails’ website which includes an estate settlement for Ephraim in 1843. And, well, let’s just say that Ephraim owed money to a lot of individuals….. Forty-one pages of debt listings and IOUs. He may very well have been someone they did not want to (honor).

Would anyone have any additional information, thoughts, theories or ? If there are possibly records that could be searched locally in Parke County, I would be able to pay a reasonable amount for someone to perform a search. I have found a couple of online sources for Indiana records, but if anyone has known sites, please do not hesitate to post them

My tree is ThackerHensley. My known Margaret Cline is listed in my line, but Ephraim Cline and Margaret Wilks are their own sub-tree and must be searched for.

Thank you!
Karl Thacker
West Des Moines, Iowa

Find a board about a specific topic