Scroll down to the references to child (5), John, who m Nancy Donaldson.
JAMES BROWN, b ca 1821 NC, d between 1860-1864 Edwardsville, Madison Co IL, married ca 1842 in NC (possibly Iredell Co) Mirenda, b ca 1816 NC, d prob between 1855-1860 Sangamon Co IL. Her last name is given as Garrett on her son John's death record, but an online researcher suggests the name may have been Garris. There are Garris families in Iredell Co in 1850 (including a one-year-old Mirinda Garris) and earlier.
1850 CENSUS, IREDELL CO NC, 28 Aug 1850
JAMES BROWN 30 NC, Mirenda 34 NC, (1) Sarah 7 NC, (2) Jane 6 NC, (3) Nancy 4 NC, (4) Milly 5/12 NC
The family moved to Illinois sometime between 1852 and 1855, judging by the ages and birthplaces of sons John, born in Iredell County in 1852, and William, born in Illinois around 1855.
Mirenda died presumably between 1855 and 1859, and James married in Sangamon County on 11 Dec 1859 Mary J. Smith, b ca 1830 in Ohio. Mary, like James, died in Edwardsville IL between 1860 and 1864, according to Milly's marriage license.
1860 CENSUS, SANGAMON CO IL, P.O. Springfield, 25 Jun 1860
JAMES BROWN 39 NC farm laborer, Mary J. 30 OH, (4) Mille 10 NC, (5) John 8 NC, (6) William 5 IL
Nancy Brown, age 14, is listed on the same 1860 census page as James and family, living in the household of James Scott 62 VA. Her birthplace is entered as Illinois. Sarah and Jane have not been found in 1860.
NOTE: I SUSPECT the numbered people below are children of James and Mirenda (Garris) Brown. Jane, found in their household in 1850, is assumed to be their daughter. John's death record lists James and Mirenda as his parents. The circumstances of name, age, birthplace, residence and burial place suggest the others are members of James' family. I'M LOOKING FOR DOCUMENTARY PROOF THAT THEY ARE.
(1) Sarah Brown, b 5 Aug 1842 NC. Reportedly died in 1869, but the mortality schedule of the 1870 census suggests she died in Apr 1870 in Nokomis Twp, Montgomery Co IL; m Fayette Co IL 5 Nov 1863 Benjamin Dilbeck or Dillbeck, who was living in Hurricane Twp, Fayette Co, in 1865. Children: (1) Margaret J. Dilbeck, b 21 Sep 1864, d 5 Sep 1950 Springfield, Greene Co MO, bur Day Cem near Seymour MO; m Lawson H. Henry (1853-1927). (2) Nancy E. Dilbeck, b 13 Jun 1867. Fayette County records show a Nancy E. Dilbeck married Thomas Stone there on 23 Feb 1882. Benjamin Dilbeck remarried and had more children.
(2) Jane Brown, b ca 1844 NC.
(3) Nancy Brown, b 12 Jun 1846 NC, d 21 Feb 1920, bur Whitten Cem, South Fillmore, Montgomery Co IL; m William Wilson 3 Apr 1864 Fayette Co IL. 1900 census says Nancy was the mother of 10 children, 9 then living. Known names: James Riley Wilson, b ca 1865, Mary E. 1867, Henry J. 1868, Thomas 1869, Mima? M. b Apr 1875, Roxy A. b Dec 1877, William A. b Mar 1882, George W. b Jan 1884, Cara B. b Mar 1887.
(4) Mildred Ann "Milly" Brown (1850-1936). According to her age of five months, as appears on the Iredell Co NC census dated 28 Aug 1850, Milly was born in late March or early April of 1850. She died 5 Jan 1936 in Edwardsville, Madison Co IL, and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. Under the name Milly Smith she married in Bond Co IL on 18 Aug 1864 Robert Ross Martin (1837-1923). Children: Marvin E. (1865-1935), Leo T. (1867-1941), Bertie (1872-1954), Louis (1875-1956), Alpha Jane (1879-1962), Cyrus C. (1885-1918).
(5) John Brown b 20 Oct 1852 Iredell Co NC, d 3 Feb 1937 Brownstown, Fayette Co IL, bur Whitten Cem (also known as Old Hurricane Cem), South Fillmore, Montgomery Co IL; m Montgomery Co IL 23 Sep 1875 Miss Nancy Caroline Donaldson. Children: Perly A. Brown, b ca 1876; William T., b ca 1878; Jennie Estelle (1880-1959).
(6) William M. Brown, b Oct 1855 in Illinois of parents b NC, d between 1912 and 1920, presumably at Alton, Madison Co IL. Worked for the Federal Lead Works, as did his son Estia. William may be the William Martin Brown who died 15 Feb 1918 and was buried in Woodlawn Cem. William married in Montgomery Co IL on 24 Dec 1874 Miss Frances Thompson, b May 1855 or 1854 VA, d 7 Oct 1924 Alton, Madison Co IL. They were living in Sharon Twp, Fayette Co IL , in 1880 and in Edwardsville, Madison Co IL, in 1900. Frances was described as having had seven children by 1900, two of whom were living at that time. Known children: Ida R., b ca 1876, Lenore E. b ca 1880, William E., b April 1883, and Estia Albert, b 7 Feb 1888, d after 1942, when he was a resident of Mitchell, Madison Co IL.