I'm looking for my ancestor Samuel Michael. I don't have specific birth information for him, but census and other records indicate he was born around 1829 or 1830 in Illinois. I have a document that lists his father as William Michael, though I have no name for his mother. Samuel was married to Lucinda Turley in Greene County, Indiana on 1 May 1853 and lived there until he died on 27 July 1897. However, according to his Civil War pension files, he lived somewhere around Vernon, Patoka, and Pope before he moved to Indiana. He was married to a woman called Mary and she died abt 1 May 1851 and left a child. Samuel was said to have left the area shortly after Mary's death.
The people in the area who gave this information are:
- Simeon White (60 years old and lived in Pope in 1898; states he "moved away from the neighborhood in 1854" and Mary died before he moved)
- W.G. and Nancy Cook (63 and 68 years old, respectively, and lived in Vernon in 1898; state that they were "well acquainted with [Mary] and her family relations" and that she "left a little babe")
- Joseph L. Adamson (71 years old and lived in Patoka in 1897; states that he and Simeon White "lived near neighbor to them for several years" before Mary's death).
I believe I've located the neighbors on the 1850 census, but I haven't been able to find any record of Samuel and Mary in the area so far. In 1830 and 1840, there are Michaels who lived in Fayette County. Absalom and John Michael both purchased land in the 1830's and '40's in Seminary Township. Elizabeth Michael is listed as having a male Samuel's age in her household in both 1830 and '40, so it's possible she was the widow of William Michael and mother of Samuel, but I have no proof that this is the case. All three Michaels disappear after 1840, though.
Other information I have for Samuel is as follows:
- Served in Co. A, 97th Indiana Infantry in the Civil War
- Allegedly had 18 children with Lucinda Turley (source: 1900 census), though I know only of the following: Benjamin, Andrew Miller (my ancestor), Hettie, Robert, Abraham, and Mary Jane
- Buried at Newark Baptist Church in Newark, Greene County, Indiana
There was also a man named Elias Michael, born abt 1815 in Kentucky and died abt 1880, in Greene County, Indiana at the same time Samuel lived there. I've first located him in Greene County in 1845 when he got married to Polly Russell. He always lived near Samuel; there is a newspaper blurb that states his widow, Biddy (Sumner) Michael Montgomery, visited with Samuel's son Andrew in 1894; and his widow listed his birthplace as Illinois on the 1880 census, all of which leads me to believe he and Samuel are related.
The book History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, State of Indiana states there was also a man named John Michael who was killed in Worthington, Greene County in 1848. I am unsure if this is the same John Michael who lived in Fayette County, Illinois or not, but it seems possible.
I believe this is all of the relevant information I have at the moment. If anyone could offer any kind of help at all, I would be so grateful!