Search for content in message boards

Donald Cameron, teacher, Brushy Mound

Replies: 4

Re: Donald Cameron, teacher, Brushy Mound

Posted: 1322894631000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1322905994000
Surnames: Cameron
He may be, in the 1860 census he is listed as a justice of the peace (maybe a family occupation?) and in 1870 he is listed as a school teacher. I have not found any information on him before 1850, where he is located in the 1850 census in Aux Sable, Grundy, Illinois.

I'm looking for any information on him as well, i only know about his wife + children and some descendants. I don't know anything about his parents, but Ive seen the censuses say the father is b. in Scotland and his mother is b. NY, but I've also seen a census say both is parents were not born of foreign birth.

I'm wondering what VT geneaolgy you're refering to? any information on Don would be appreciated. He is my 4th gr. grandfather but until a few months ago, i only knew up to limited information about his son Donald R Cameron.

one interesting thing to maybe note, i just realized that ryegate, vt camerons (an elizabeth stark m. a john g. cameron of ryegate, vt) are mentioned in a stark family history at: http://www.nh.searchroots.com/HillsboroughCo/Manchester/star... (go to Elizabet-3 Stark (General John-2, Archibald-1), she married a John Cameron with ryegate lands- and better yet, he was a judge. Closer reading about Elizabeth and John show that our 1814 donald was probably born to his 2nd wife though (who is also probably related to gen. stark)

i've always been told by my grandma (a cameron) that our camerons were related to war vet john stark (her father was even named general john stark and changed his name to john stark Cameron); but i haven't been unable to find any connection in the past; so ive dissmissed it as just inccorrect family rumors. but now that ryegate comes up, it's interesting to note that this may be the same Cameron family as the one mentioned on the stark website: there is a son of elizabeth stark and j. cameron, don, but he was b.1809 and d. 1813. the Donald Cameron in my family b. in VT was born about 1814 (the schoolteacher) and the last child listed on this website born to elizabeth was b. 1813. its possible the list is incomplete and she could have named an unlisted son b. 1814, named donald, after her previously dead son don b.1809-
But more likely is what the website mentions- that "He m2) 28 Feb 1814, Persis Whittaker, whose mother possibly was a niece of Gen. Stark, had 6 more children (Donald, Jamima, Keziah, Karen, Ann and Nathan)." (so this donald b. 1814 was probably born to john cameron's 2nd wife, not to elizabeth stark)It's speculation but could be possible given the fact ive always been told about the starks and theres a ryegate, vermont cameron connection here.

Thanks,
Alaina
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ktayca1 1264364592000 
alainashimmin 1322894631000 
alainashimmin 1322897499000 
RDeatherage93... 1323031790000 
alainashimmin 1547356417000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic