George Walker, a farmer in the township of Munson, is the youngest of six brothers who came to Henry County in 1858. James remained for a few years in this county and then removed to Iowa, where he died. David located in Cambridge and died there. John was for some years a resident in Munson Township and removed to Grand Forks Co., Dak. T. Alexander lives in Cambridge Township. William is a citizen of Cornwall Township. Helen a sister, married James Richmond and settled in Adair Co., Iowa.
Mr. Walker was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1839. He was reared in the shire where he was born and in 1858 he came to America. He sailed from his native land in August and landed at the port of Quebec after a voyage of seven weeks and five days. He came directly to Henry County and remained a year. In company with his brothers he rented land in Munson and Cornwall Townships. They managed the land which they had taken five years and at the end of that time three of the brothers bought the southwest quarter of section 9 in Munson Township. Soon after Mr. Walker, of this sketch, bought 80 acres of land on section 27. The brothers operated together for two years. From that time Mr. Walker managed his affairs alone. He broke the land on section 27 and retained possession of it two years. On selling it, he bought the south half of the southeast quarter of section 8, and has since made additions to his estate until he is the owner of 264 acres of land, which is all improved and constitutes a valuable estate. The family residence is located on section 16.
Mr. Walker married Ruth Ann Owen, and they have two children, ---Nina May and George Albert. Mrs. Walker was born in Indiana.
Mr. and Mrs. Walker attend the Presbyterian Church, of which she has been a member since Oct. 5, 1847.
From Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Illinois; Biographical Publishing Co.; Chicago, Illinois; 1885