Hi! I'm looking for anyone connected to my MORRIS line!
Following is a little on my MORRIS'.
I found my 3xgr-grandparents [Calvin?] Levi & Jemima (LONG) MORRIS in the 1840 census of Edgar Co., IL. They moved from Edgar Co., IL before the 1850 census to Clay & Richland Dist #14, Clay Co., IL. Then they moved to Wayne Co., IA sometime between the 1850 census & 11 June 1854, which is when his dau. Margaret Jane MORRIS m. John A. DRAKE in Wayne Co., IA.
[Calvin?] Levi & Jemima (LONG) MORRIS' children:
1. [James?] Mathew (m. Mary [Roseanna?] HENSLEY, 14 Sept 1845, Edgar Co., IL)
2. Mary Ann Catherine (m. Abraham Wood DRAKE, 28 Oct 1847, Paris, Edgar Co., IL)
3. Edith (m. Jesse R. SKIEFF, 12 Sept 1850, Clay Co., IL)
4. Margaret Jane (m. John A. DRAKE, 22 June 1854, Wayne Co., IA)
5. Deborah J. (m. Dr.Wm. R. MARKLAND, 13/18 Nov 1855, Wayne Co., IA)
6. Amanda (m. David JOHNSON, 26 Jan 1860, Wayne Co., IA)
7. Jemima (m. George Howard CODDINGTON, 31 Aug 1865, Wayne Co., IA).
Levi & Jemima MORRIS' only son [James?] Mathew MORRIS & his wife Mary (my 2xgr-grandparents), along with Mathew's parents--different households, are found in the 1860 census of Howard twp., Wayne Co., IA. On 17 June 1861, Mathew enlists at Putnam Co., MO, in the 18th Inf. MO Vol., Co. B, as a private. On 14 Nov 1861, he is mustered in at Laclede at Camp Morgan, MO at age 38. On 6 Apr 1862, Mathew was wounded at Battle of Shiloh, & died 13 days later at Paducah, McCracken Co., KY's U.S. Army Hospital. I've been unable to find his burial place. By the 1870 census his family had moved on to Louisburg twp., Montgomery Co., KS. His wife Mary never remarried.
Would love to hear from anyone with any connection to this family!
Donna......Land of Oz, USA