Search for content in message boards

PHILLIPS in Bureau County

Replies: 1

PHILLIPS in Bureau County

Posted: 1553446812000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips, Stiles, Marsh
There seem to be multiple lines of PHILLIPS in Bureau County. I need help in straightening out the ancestry of my Phillips.

I am a descendant of Alonzo Phillips (b. 1833, d. 1897) and who married Alzina Stiles (b. 1841, d 1928). With research of census records a while back, I believed his parents were probably Levi and Phebe (Marsh) Phillips. His obituary indicates he was born in FARMINGTON, WARREN COUNTY, PENNSYLANIA.

In looking at the FInd A Grave record in Oakland Cemetery, Princeton, Bureau, IL, the parents are listed as Alexander and Rebecca Kelsey Phillips. The listed parents appeared to have lived in CRAWFORD COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA ALL OF THEIR LIVES. Hmmm...doesn't seem like this would be correct.

I am looking for help in determining if someone has more defining records than I do to confirm who Alonzo's parents are. Here are the strands of data I'm using to
connect Alonzo to his parents Levi and Phebe (Marsh) Phillips.

1. We know Alonzo was born in Pennsylvania per the Bureau County census records for Alonzo in 1860, 1870, and 1880.

2. Based on the obituary, Alonzo was born in Farmington, Warren County, Pennsylvania.

3. There is an Alonzo of approximately the correct age in the household of Levi and Phebe Phillips in Pine Grove, Warren, Pennsylvania in 1850 with parents Levi and Phebe and a whole different set of siblings than listed on the Oakland Cemetery Find a Grave record. "United States Census, 1850," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4Z7-3TY : 12 April 2016), Alonzo Phillips in household of Levi Phillips, Pine Grove, Warren, Pennsylvania, United States; citing family 610, NARA microfilm publication M432 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).

4. I was a little confused about the location of Pine Grove, the location of the family in 1850. Pine Grove as well as Farmington are both township names in Warren County, PA. There are also cities by the same name in different counties. The census records seem to be referring to the townships.

5. There is a biography about Alonzo's brother Lorenzo explaining the connection between Pine Grove and Farmington for their parents.

"Biography of Lorenzo D. Phillips
History of Warren County as posted by Julie Nicholson-Turbide on Pennsylvania Find A Grave

Phillips, Lorenzo D., Lander p.o., Farmington, is a farmer, and was born in Farmington, April 22, 1831. He was a son of Levi and Phebe (Marsh) Phillips. His paternal grandfather, Squire Phillips, was a native of Vermont, and a pioneer of Pine Grove, and later of Farmington, where he resided until his death. He settled on the farm which is now owned and occupied by Alexander Houghwoht, and cleared and improved it. He had a family of twelve children - Sally, Elisha, Loren, Darius, Lucy, Jonathan, Lydia, Levi, Anna, Maria; Elijah, and Albert. His maternal grandfather was Hugh marsh, a native of New Jersey, who settled in Farmington, in 1798. Levi Phillips, fatehr of Lorenzo D. Phillips, began life in Pine Grove, lived on the Houghwoht farm for a time in Farmington, and later removed to the farm which is now occupied by the Stantons. He cleared and improved the latter and resided on it the greater part of his lifetime. He had a family of ten children - Hiram L., Nancy, Rachel (deceased), Lorenzo D., Alonzo I., Pierson C., mary Jane, Andrew, Phebe Ann, and Daniel W. Lorenzo D. always resided in Farmington. He was married in 1862 to Malvina Hudson, a daughter of William and Olive (Badger) Hudson, of Pine Grove. They have had a family of two children born to them - Herbert L. and Milton L. He settled on the farm which he now owns and occupies in 1865, and erected all of the present buildings. The farm was originally settled by Hugh Marsh. "

Unless there is more supporting information for the Oakland Cemetery Find a Grave record, it seems more likely Alonzo is the son of Levi and Phebe (Marsh) Phillips than the parentage listed on the Find A Grave record.

Would love to hear from any descendants of Levi and Phebe Phillips.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Linda Matthew... 1553446812000 
bobeddings 1553648751000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic