Search for content in message boards

Soldiers Grave in Clark County

Replies: 6

Re: Soldiers Grave in Clark County

Posted: 1374317927000
Classification: Query
Surnames: glass, munn
These are the facts about Private Samuel A. Glass, "L" Company, 2nd Cavalry, casualty of the American Indian War.

After the Battle of the Bighole, troops from Company L, 2nd Cavalry were sent from Fort Ellis, Montana Territory to join General Howard in the pursuit of Chief Joseph's Nez Perce band. A few days later, the Battle of Camas Meadows occurred. The best version of the battle, as it relates to Samuel Glass was one of his fellow company L troop, Private Fred Munn:

[Fred Munn, Veteran of Frontier Experiences, Remembered the Days He Rode With Miles, Howard and Terry', by Fred Munn as told to Robert A. Griffen. Montana the magazine of Western History, Spring 1966.]

page 60: “We joined General Howard's command at Horse Prairie on about the 15th (August), after a killing ride from Virginia City, nearly 150 miles in something 40 hours. This was about six days after the Battle of the Big Hole in which General Gibbon was wounded in the thigh, and a number of officers killed and wounded. There is no doubt that Howard's close proximity to the scene of the Big Hole fight caused the Nez Perce to withdraw. If they hadn't, most likely the troops would have suffered a worse defeat.
We followed Joseph's broad trail to the southeast and finally came up to about fifteen miles of his camp at Camas Prairie, Idaho. He was headed Tacher (Targhee) Pass and down the Yellowstone to buffalo country. Our first night at Camas Prairie the Indians struck our camp before dawn, driving off most of the horses and mules belonging to the volunteers, who were camped across Camas Creek with a small field. They went through the camp of the civilians, scattering them and their field piece, which went into the creek.
Sammy Glass and I slept under one of the freight wagons that night and when the Indians shooting and yelling struck, we jumped out with our guns in our hands, he on one side and me on the other side of the wagon. As Sammy got to his feet, he called, “Fred, they got me.” I got to him in a few minutes, propping blankets under his head. The bullet struck his belt of cartridges tearing a hole in his abdomen in which four fingers could be inserted.”

After the battle:

9/1/1877 Virginia City Madisonian:
“On the following morning, the 21st, arrangements were made for placing Glass, Trevor and Garland, the three who were the most severely wounded in Norwood's fight of the 20th, under the medical care of Doctor E.T. Yager, and their transportation to Virginia (city) under escort of the volunteers. The company left Camas Meadows about 8 a.m., and arrived at Pleasant Valley without adventure that evening.”
“On arriving a Pleasant Valley station, Glass was found to be in such a condition from the effects of his wound that it was deemed unadviseable to carry him any further, and Dr Yager remained with him there until his death, which took place on the morning of the 23.”
“Glass was a native of New York, a man of considerable intelligence, strictly temperate in his habits, and possessed the high esteem of the officers and men of his company. He was the company blacksmith.”
“When the wagon with the wounded men arrived at Pleasant Valley Station, the proprietor, Mr. L. A. Harkness, immediately set about procuring comfortable beds for them, and assisted by two ladies who were staying there, whose names we did not learn, supplied their every want, attended to them with all possible care during the night, and when the two men , Trevor and Garland were gone, and Dr Yager and Glass remained, bestowed upon them ll the attention that kindness could suggest or the place afford, and upon the death of the latter prepared the coffin and grave, and buried him as decently as the surroundings permitted, firmly and utterly refusing all compensation for anything that had been done.”
“Such an instance of liberality and kindness is worthy of high praise, and shows the whole world kin is not always obliterated by the rugged surroundings of mountain life.”
“The volunteers arrived in Virginia City the evening on 24th.”

His grave was marked with wooden tombstone, until 1937 when it was replaced with a official government stone.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
arlon austin 1075936550000 
Eellitta 1225844872000 
sweetpea1870 1306805603000 
Sgt42RHR 1307587741000 
janowiedemann 1359138466000 
fairdalehobbs 1374317927000 
fairdalehobbs 1374318097000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic