Search for content in message boards

Boyd L Woolstenhulme (1919-2014) Obituary

Replies: 0

Boyd L Woolstenhulme (1919-2014) Obituary

Posted: 1394313558000
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Woolstenhulme, Leonard, Law
The News-Examiner, 03/08/14

Boyd L Woolstenhulme was born Dec 31, 1919 at his parents’ ranch at Alder Creek, near Mackay, Idaho. His parents were Royal Walter and Hazel Dean Leonard Woolstenhulme. He was the sixth of eight children: Wallace Elmo, Wilma LaFern, Morris L. (Brick), Maxine, Royal Glen, Boyd, Sherdon, and Robert L. About a year after his birth, the family moved back to Oakley, Summit County, Utah, where they had lived previous to moving to Mackay. Boyd spent his growing up years in Oakley learning to work hard with the family. In the summer he and his siblings had fun riding calves and horses and camping and hunting in the mountains, but summertime was mostly for work—milking and feeding the cows, irrigating, and haying. He helped take care of the animals and milked cows, starting when he was only five years old. He attended elementary school in a three-room brick building and later completed seminary and high school, graduating from South Summit High School in May of 1937.

Some of his jobs during his younger years were getting lumber out of the mountains, working on the farm for his dad and others, milking cows, and hauling milk to the creamery. Later, he had several different jobs including helping build the reservoir in Beaver Creek Canyon, working on the Duchesne Tunnel, timbering with his brother Elmo, and working in the silver mines at Park City, Utah. He was drafted into the Army in October of 1942 and went to Camp Polk in Louisiana with the 56th Armored Engineers, 11th Armored Division. He was honorably discharged in November of 1943.

In 1945 he went to work on the Clausen Ranch in Nounan. During this time he met Beth Law who was a waitress at the Kit Kat, a confectionary in Montpelier. They had their first date on Nov. 5, 1945 and were married the next fall, Sept. 1, 1946 at her parents’ home in Montpelier. On March 10, 1966 they were sealed in the Logan Temple along with their children. He was active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and held the office of High Priest at the time of his death.

After Boyd and Beth were married, they ran the ranch in Nounan for a year and then moved into Montpelier, living with Beth’s parents for a time. He bought a D6 Caterpillar and dozer and did custom work with it for a few years. In 1950 they bought Beth’s parents’ ranch and moved to a little two-room house on Adams Street which they later added onto and lived in until 1981 when they built their present home on Bench Road. Over the years he worked as a cat skinner on road construction and at the local phosphate mines along with running the ranch. In the summer of 1972 they built a dairy south of Montpelier which they operated until Brad purchased it in 1977. Beth and the children were all involved with the work on the farm and ranch over the years.

Boyd retired from construction in 1982, and took on the job of managing the Bear Lake County Stockyards. Other jobs he had were Director and President of the Bear Lake Land and Livestock Association, Director and President of the Montpelier Irrigation Company, and the West Fork Irrigation Company. He was also the water master for the West Fork Irrigation Company. He always enjoyed having horses and used them for work and pleasure riding. He was involved in cutter racing and horse pulling for several years.

Boyd and Beth took several trips through the years—to Germany, Hawaii and Alaska and to many areas of the United States. In 1982 Boyd and Beth began traveling south in the winters, staying in their trailer at Riverland Resort on the Colorado River near Earp, California for ten years. In 1992 they started spending their winters in Washington, Utah, near St. George. They made many good friends over the years during their winters away. In 2006, they sold their home in St. George and came back to spend the winters here in Bear Lake and be closer to family.

On March 6, 2013, Boyd suffered a stroke and spent two weeks at the hospital in Pocatello before returning to the Skilled Nursing Facility in Montpelier which has been his home for the past year. He passed away on Monday, March 3, 2014 in Montpelier. He was preceded in death by his parents, four brothers, two sisters and two great-grandchildren. He is survived by his wife Beth, children Bonnie (Nolan) Phillips of Montpelier, Brent (Cheri) Woolstenhulme of Idaho Falls, Bruce (Anne) Woolstenhulme of Salt Lake, and Brad (LeeAnn) Woolstenhulme of Montpelier.

He is also survived by one brother, Robert Woolstenhulme (Allene) of Sun City, Ariz., Woolstenhulme of Wanship, Utah, and Hilda Law of Montpelier, and numerous nieces and nephews. He also leaves behind eighteen grandchildren and fifty great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at noon on Saturday, March 8 at the Montpelier South Stake Center, 485 South 7th Street, Montpelier. Viewings will be held Friday evening from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Schwab-Matthews Mortuary, 702 Clay Street, and Saturday at the church from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m.

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 8th, 2014

Find a board about a specific topic