Search for content in message boards

French émigrés in Delaware: Keating, Dupont, etc.

Replies: 3

French émigrés in Delaware: Keating, Dupont, etc.

Posted: 1194835153000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Keating, Dupont, Bretton des Chapelles, Augnot
I am trying to find any information of the French émigrés who settled in the Newark or Wilmington, Delaware area during the 1790s. Reasons for this migration were the French Revolution (1792 in France) but also the Slave Revolts of Saint-Domingue (Haïti) in 1791.

I am wondering if there are any books on these people. It has been difficult to find information on my ancestor Louis Hugh Keating who married in Louisiana in 1815 and said his parents were of Newark. With the pronunciation of Newark in Delaware, the priest in Louisiana (who was French) mistook this as "New York" the state. We also have reason to believe that our Keating family is related to the Baron John Keating who lived in Delaware and later moved to Philadelphia. These Keatings were Irish by blood but French by birth in some case as they were noble families, members of the Walsh Brigade. My ancestor Louis Hugh Keating was supposedly born in Brest, France but I've had no luck finding him in those records. If anyone has studied these persons or this topic or know of a repository in Delaware that might shed light on this topic please respond. Another, more famous family of French origin were the Duponts and the Bretton des Chapelles.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jay_Schexnayd... 1194835153000 
mosemann139 1196044950000 
josie982 1196099417000 
Jay_Schexnayd... 1196130404000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic