History of Southeast Missouri, Goodspeeds 1880, pg. 836-37, Bollinger County, MO
JOHN W. LAIRD
John W. Laird is a son of J. M. and Mary A. (Johnson) Laird.
The father was born in 1830 in Central Tennessee, and early learned the shoemaker's trade. He was married in 1855 and located on a farm in Randolph County, Ark., and remained until 1863, when he removed to Jackson County, Ill., and resumed farming and working at his trade. In 1866, he returned to Tennessee, and two years later came to Missouri and settled on a farm in Bollinger County, which he afterward managed in connection with working at his trade. In 1862, he served six months in the Confederate army. He died at his home in Bollinger County in 1877. Mrs. Laird was born in Weakley County, Tenn., in 1834, and died the same year as her husband. They were the parents of ten children, five of whom, John W., Lewis D., Alice (now the wife of G. C. Markhan), Leuella A. (the wife of E. Ellison) and Fonso Belle are living.
John W. Laird was born in Randolph County Ark., in 1856, and was reared at the home of his parents receiving his education in the common schools. In early life, he learned the shingle-maker's trade and in 1879 was united in marriage with Martha King. Three children have been born to this union: James L., Margaret A. and Nettie C. In 1881, Mr. Laird located on a farm in Dunklin County, Mo., but soon returned to Bollinger County and purchased a farm on which he still resides. In the spring of 1888, he was elected road commissioner of Liberty Township of that county. Mr. Laird has traveled considerably, is industrious and well respected, and is one of the rising young men of the county.