Search for content in message boards

Sirten (Sartin) in Limestone County Alabama

Replies: 6

Re: Cobble

Posted: 1396909404000
Classification: Query
The John Allen Cobble I have was born about August of 1861. I have no proof, but we think his father was a John M. Cobble, born about 1838. The family lore said that John Allen was born while his father was fighting in the Civil War.

Assuming the story is true, the search for the father John Allen Cobble began by compiling a list of Confederate soldiers with the Cobble surname from Tennessee. This assumes that he fought for the CSA, although there were Tennesseans who enlisted in the Union army during the Civil War. We were left with a list that was in need of some type of qualifier to narrow the possibilities. From the notes of my visit with James Cobble (s/o Lee) in October of 2008, James recalled hearing Lee say that all of his folks were from the area around Lynchburg TN. The Lynchburg of today is in Moore County, which was created in 1871 from portions of Bedford, Lincoln and Franklin counties. This seemed to be the ideal criteria by which to refine the list. Using the area of Bedford, Lincoln and Franklin counties to qualify the list, only two (2) soldiers with the Cobble surname remained. Those individuals were:

Allen Cobble and John M. Cobble (some artifacts show the surname spelled Coble).

Both men enrolled in the Confederate army on 29 April 1861 at Roseville Tennessee. Roseville is a community in Moore County, about 4 miles east of Lynchburg where Roseville road intersects with Chestnut Ridge Road. Both joined at the rank of Private for a 12 month period and assigned to Peter Tourney's 1st Tennessee Regiment, Company D. The First Tennessee, Company D, CSA, was lead by Captain, N.B. Simpson.

Allen Cobble aged 43; was detailed as a Wagoner on 29 June 61 and was discharged at Camp Fisher, Virginia on 16 Nov 61 for disability by reason of phthisis. Phthisis is an archaic name for tuberculosis. A person afflicted with tuberculosis in the old days was destined to dwindle and waste away.

John M. Cobble aged 24; was detailed as Teamster and it is believed that he served to the close of the war. This is substantiated by the muster roll records that indicate John M. Cobble was present on provost guard duty in October, November and December 1864.

In an effort to validate the location of the individuals cited above, the census in 1860 for Bedford, Lincoln and Franklin counties were examined in hope of establishing the residence of either soldier. The 1860 census finds a John Cobble, age 22, in District 6 (Marble Hill Post Office). The date of the count was July 12, 1860. He was counted at the U.N. Simpson household with his occupation being a day laborer. His occupation does not indicate that he is living at the Simpson house. The significance of this census record is:

1) The association John M. Cobble with N.B. Simpson, commander of Company D, prior to the start of the war.
2) N.B. Simpson and U.N. Simpson must be the same person. From experience, census sheets are prone to scribing errors and mistakes. N.B. or U.N. Simpson does not show up in the 1870 census, which is consistent with a narrative on Franklin's counties role in the Civil war that states N.B. Simpson was killed during the war.
3) The census taker recorded the people present at a location and did not record if they actually lived at the location. The relationship to the head of the house was the only clue about their residence. Unfortunately, the 1860 census failed to collect this information.

I have spent 7 years studying in hope of tracing down the parents of my G-Grandfather John Allen Cobble. I not saying it is impossible, but this is the best I have been able to infer from the records. Hopefully the above research is of value. If anything I stated can lead you to a connection, be proven or disproved, please let me know, as I am not a professional researcher.

Ron Cobble
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ronco132 1335129691000 
krisaubu 1335205725000 
ronco132 1335219431000 
JoanCarolynMc... 1396142370000 
ronco132 1396909404000 
JoanCarolynMc... 1396923181000 
JoanCarolynMc... 1401057524000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic