Search for content in message boards

Explosion, St Redempteur - Carriere's killed

Replies: 4

Re: Explosion, St Redempteur - Carriere's killed

Posted: 1364829374000
Classification: Query
Here are the links regarding the explosion on May 8, 1910 in Hull, Quebec.

Here are newspaper articles I have copied:

1) Magazine Explodes. Trees and Houses Leveled For Miles around Hull, Canada. Ottawa, Ont

Five tons of an explosive in a magazine exploded at the works of the General Explosives Company, near Hull, and fifteen persons were killed and scores were injured. Many of the victims had formed part of a crowd at a ball game and persisted in watching the fire at the works after having been warned of the peril if the big magazine exploded. Everything within a radius of a mile and a- half of the works was torn and shattered. Giant trees were snapped off close to the earth, barns and houses were converted into kindling wood. Many small houses were wrecked in Hull and larger buildings were damaged, while in Ottawa, four miles away, the Government and other buildings were, shaken and many wlndows were smashed. The known dead are: 1) Robert Agh, sixty-three years old; 2) Horace Anderson; 3) Joseph Bédard, 4) Patrick (printing error: "John") Blanchfield, struck by a stone as he was sitting on the doorstep of his home surrounded by hls family; 5) Rosalie Carriere and 6) Yolande Carriere (sisters), struck by a stone which came through the roof of their house; 7) Antoine Cervante, twelve years old; 8) Theodore Gagne; 9) Leonard Jardine, badly crushed; 10) Ferdinand Laurin three years old; 11) Albert Leblanc; 12) Louis McCann, a boy, struck by a big stone; 13) William Sabairin, twenty-four years old; 14) Unidentified Boy (perhaps Fabien Last Name unknown who was decapitated), and 15) Unidentified Girl, found together and too badly crushed to be recognized.

(NOTE: Newspaper Error.Some newspapers erroneously published Patrick Blanchfield's name as John Blanchfield.)

2) 15 Dead and 50 Injured in General Explosives Co. Explosion on Sunday, May 8, 1910

An explosion which late this afternoon wrecked the plant of the General Explosives company of Canada, situated a mile from Hull, Quebec, and four miles from this city, killed between 10 and 15 persons (NOTE: 15 was the final count) and injured scores of others. The force of the explosion was terrifying. The country for miles around was laid waste and may small dwellings in the city of Hull, on the side nearest the scene of the explosion, were flattened to the ground. A baseball game was in progress a short distance from the powder works about 6 o’clock in the evening. The teams were playing the last inning and when a fire was seen in one of the small buildings of the powder plant the crowd began to swarm up the hill to get a better view of the blaze. Warning of the danger came to the onlookers in two minor explosions soon after the fire got under way. A shower of sparks and fragments of the wrecked building fell among the spectators and there was a scurrying out of what was considered the danger zone. Some men in the crowd, aware of the danger when the main magazine was reached, pleaded with the crowd to go still further back and many of them heeded the warning. Others, apparently enjoying the element of danger in the spectacle, stood within 1000 yards of the burning buildings. They were kept on the qui vive by detonations which sent showers of burning brands in all directions. The baseball game broke up and the remainder of the spectators and the players rushed to join the crowd at the fire. It was then the main magazine exploded. There were two stunning detonations. Everything within a radius of a mile and a half was torn and shattered. Giant trees were snapped off close to the earth, barns and dwellings were converted into kindling wood and even in Ottawa, four miles from the scene hundreds of plate glass windows were broken.The scene where the crowd from the ball field stood resembled a battlefield. Headless, armless and legless bodies were lying about among scores of unconscious forms. To the few who retained a flicker of consciousness it appeared as though more than a hundred had been killed. The silence which followed the final death-dealing blast was more terrifying than the cries and moans which came with a return to consciousness of the badly injured. The terrific shock brought thousands of terror stricken people into the streets of Hull. Some thought it was an earthquake, while others cried out that the comet has struck the earth. Hundreds of chimneys were toppled over and there is scarcely a whole pane of glass left in the northeastern section of the city. The first call for aid from the hospitals and the police came from the section of the city nearest the magazine. There it was found that fully 40 small frame dwellings had been shattered and many injured people were imprisoned in the wreckage. The police and fire departments were joined by scores of volunteers in the work of rescue. It was fully an hour and a half after the explosion that word came into the city of the disaster near the powder works. Ambulances and automobiles were rushed to the scene and the frightfully injured were carried to the local hospitals until there was room for no more and then they were brought across the river to this city. At 10 o’clock the police estimate the number of dead at fifteen and the injured at fifty. In this city, four miles from the scene of the explosion, the terror it inspired was scarcely less than that at Hull. The earth trembled, buildings shook and hundreds of windows were shattered. The great cloud of smoke which mounted into a column over Hull quickly indicated the true cause of the terrifying shock. Rideau hall, the official home of Earl Grey, and the buildings on Parliament Hill caught the full force of the explosion, being two miles nearer the powder plant than the main section of the city. Every window on one side of Rideau hall was blown out and two great stone chimneys toppled over. The parliament buildings also were damaged badly. Rideau hall is still occupied by Earl Grey and his family. The whole vice regal establishment fled panic stricken to the street. They were soon assured that there was no further damage. As soon as Earl Grey learned the extent of the disaster he ordered a detachment of troops sent across the river to help the authorities. The building in which the main explosion occurred was built of solid stone, the walls being two feet thick. Fragments of stone weighing up to a half ton were shot through the air for a quarter of a mile, shattering the frame houses of working men which run to within an eighth of a mile of the factory. In a home just north of the works two sisters named Carrier, 17 and 19 years, were killed while sitting at the supper table. John Blanchfield was sitting with his wife in the door of his home when a fragment of rock snuffed out his life, but left her unharmed. The head of a lad named Fabien was cut clean from his body. Louis McCann, a laborer, was crushed by a falling fragment. He was started for an Ottawa hospital in an automobile, but when it was seen that he was dying the car was stopped in front of the Roman Catholic cathedral. There, standing on the steps, a priest administered the last sacrament a few moments before McCann died. A little boy and girl, found lying together, crushed beyond recognition, have not so far been identified. The electric light works was disabled and the city of Hull left in darkness, adding to the confusion and the difficulty of locating victims. The Ottawa hospitals are crowded with injured and it is almost certain that some of these are so badly hurt that the list of fatalities will grow. Beaumont Enterprise and Journal, Beaumont, TX 9 May 1910
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Last 1022115920000 
jouimet|MA163... 1031164719000 
Jennifer Last 1031171789000 
jouimet|MA163... 1031192443000 
Susan Arens 1364829374000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic