Search for content in message boards

Samuel Whaley of Mornington Township

Replies: 2

Samuel Whaley of Mornington Township

Posted: 1063031201000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1124336760000
I'm not sure this is the Samuel Whaley you want.

"Another of the pioneers of Mornington who occupied a place of prominence in the earlier days of the township was Mr. Samuel Whaley, the younger brother of James Whaley, the first reeve. He was born in the county of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1817, and emigrated to America in 1838, arriving at New York State where he resided for several years. He came to the Township of North Easthope in 1842, and in the year 1844 married Margaret Trow, sister of the late James Trow. Sr., who represented South Perth for over twenty years at Ottawa, and was for many years the Liberal Whip in the House of Commons. In 1850, when settlers were coming into the Queen's Bush, he located on the farm now owned by Mr. Joseph Fleming, on the 5th line. He was the first returning officer and township clerk, holding the office for several years. He also held the office of assessor for a time. In 1856 he was appointed division court clerk which office he held until the time of his death in 1876. He was also a Justice of the Peace for over 25 years. He was reeve of the township from 1868 to 1872. On coming to Milverton in 1870 he built an office next to Mr. G.J. Coxon's residence on Mill Street which was removed when Christ Church was built some 30 years ago. Here he carried on his division court work, fire insurance and conveyancing, continuing to farm at the same time. He also for a number of years carried the mail once a week from West's Corners to Trowbridge on horseback. The mail was brought in from Shakespeare on the bush trail and when the mail man approached the village his presence was made known by the blowing of a horn. The telegraph line was built about 65 years ago when the first instrument was installed. Mr. Whaley was also a commissioner in in B.R. and a director of the Stratford & Huron Railway. He was, like his brother James, an active Reformer in politics and a Presbyterian in religion. At the first council meetings held in 1854 on the farm now owned by Mr. John Yost, a whiskey bottle stood on the table and all present were at liberty to help themselves when they desired. Mr. Whaley was the father of a large family.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
@@jbrzozowski... 1063031201000 
Joan Kelley 1063032802000 
mburke0274 1358360298000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic