I am trying to find possible relations between Glengarry and a Grant family in Lachine, c. 1780-1840
This family came from Scotland and attended the St. Gabriel Street Presbyterian Church in Montreal, where many of their records are found.
They also were involved in the establishment of the first Presbyterian Parish of St. Andrew’s in Lachine.
The family included five brothers:
1. John, described as merchant and forwarder, c. 1749 – died 1817
2. Donald, fur traders with the North West Compan, died 1816
3. Peter, also a fur trader, died 1848
4. Duncan, fur trader, owned land in Charlottenburg with brother John
5. Alexander (from an incomplete source): 23 June 1829: At Charlottenburg, U.C. on 9th ult., aged 72 Alexander Grant, a native of Inverness-shire, and brother to the late John Grant, of Lachine.
From various unconfirmed sources:
1. John could be a nephew of captain Alexander Gran, b 1734 Glenmoriston, son of Patrick Grant and Isobel Grant.
2. Peter, Donald and Duncan could be related (uncles or cousins) to explorer Simon Fraser, whose mother's name was Mary Elizabeth Grant.