Search for content in message boards

Marriage in CA 1863- Nickolas ENDICH and Lucy VIZOLICH, both from of Sclavonia, Austria

Replies: 11

Re: Slawonien or Ragusa?

Posted: 1236535130000
Classification: Query
My answer is I haven’t the faintest idea. Am having enough trouble trying to figure out what was going on in Prussian politics when my family was in Europe to get involved in understanding what was going on in the Habsburg world.

Info was extracted from newspapers published during that time frame and I suspect the publishers in California weren’t too much concerned about border/ethnic/cultural niceties or issues when it came to getting a newspaper out.

As far as the “quality” of the info, I understand it is a transcription from microfiche copies of the paper versions. Consequently “errors in fact” could be introducted by the reporter who wrote the article, the operator who set the type, or the transcriber because of microfiche quality or hitting wrong key (have not noted much of latter).

Bottom line this is free service and needs to be viewed in that light. What we’re trying to do is help folks out who might not otherwise be aware of the availablity of the information.

Vern D

For your edification the following are as copied from the website I got the marriage info from. If you’d like to explore further, URL for that website is:

http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/

//////////////////////////////////////
Extracts I found for ENDICH.
All transcribed by Dee Sardoc
Stockton Daily Independent
Stockton, San Joaquin Co., CA
>>MONDAY, 27 JULY 1863<<

MARRIED -- in Stockton, by Rev. J.A. GALLAGHER, July 19th; Nickolas ENDICH, son of Mitchel and Mary ENDICH, of Sclavonia, and Paulina VIZOLICH, daughter of Stephen and Lucy VIZOLICH, of Sclavonia, Austria.
--------------------------------------------------------
>>THURSDAY, 16 MAY 1867<<

STARTLING SUICIDE -- About half-past 5 o'clock yesterday morning, Coroner BLAKE was called upon to hold an inquest over the body of an Austrian named Samuel STEPHENS, who committed suicide in the eastern part of the city, by shooting himself through the stomach with a shot gun loaded with a ball. On the inquest the following testimony was elicited:

NICOLAS VIZELICH, sworn -- I know deceased; his name is Samuel STEPHENS; is 45 years of age; was unmarried; knew him first in 1853 or the Fall of 1854; he was up at Vancouver's Island during the Fraser river excitement; made a little money and started for his home in Europe. Before arriving in San Francisco he threw his money on deck; some of it went overboard; on his arrival in San Francisco he was arrested on board of the steamer as a crazy man; was at that time brought to Stockton and place in the Insane Asylum; he remained in the Asylum 3 1/2 years; heard through an acquaintance that he was at the Asylum; was requested to call and see him; I did not think him insane; took him from the Asylum on his being discharged on the 30th of November last, and he has been quite well apparently ever since he came to me. I was not paying him wages; I did not consider him earning anything more than his board and clothing; saw him the last time day before yesterday; heard nothing to lead me to expect he was about to destroy himself; saw him no more until my brother-in-law told me Samuel had destroyed himself by shooting himself with a gun; I then went immediately after the Coroner. This is all I know about it.

NICOLAS ENDICH, sworn -- I have known deceased since 1854; knew him first in Jackson; he was a poor and destitute man in this country; I think he has some property in Austria; saw him last about 7 o'clock last evening; saw him again about half-past 5 o'clock this morning, dead; saw smoke rising from the building; went to the place, entered the house and found deceased lying on the bed and the bed on fire; I suppose the gun, when discharged, fired the bed; when I entered his room I found the gun resting on a chair within his reach; I believe fully that he shot himself; never knew him to have any difficulty of any kind.

JOHN MILCO, sworn -- I do not know him; only knew him by sight.

THE JURY returned the following verdict: "O'Neal Township, San Joaquin county, California, May 15, 1867. We the jury summoned to inquire into the cause of the death of Samuel STEPHENS, so find that he was a native of Austria, aged about 45 years, a single man, and came to his death by a gun shot fired by his own hand.
[Signed]
W.C. MILLER, Foreman
E.T. SNIDER
S. KAISER
C.T. BALDWIN
E.R. ROBERTS
John ROBINSON
Hiram CADIEN

THE CORONER found the body of the deceased badly burned form the bed having been set on fire. It is supposed that STEPHENS had discharged the gun by rising up in bed and pulling it quickly forward with the muzzle pointing directly at his stomach, the lock having been sprung by a strap fastened to the frame of weighing scales which stood at the foot of the bed. This appears to be supposition only, however. The body was found lying on its back in bed and it was also found that the ball had gone through the backbone. The remains were interred by Coroner Blake, yesterday forenoon. An Austrian, who was acquainted with the deceased, informs us that his name was Vasilio STEPHENS, and the same gentleman writes the nativity of deceased thus: "Cattero, Risano, Austria, Slavonia."
------------------------------------------------
>>FRIDAY, 2 OCT 1868<<

DEATH -- in this city, Oct. 1st, Louisa, daughter of Nicholas and Pauline ENDICH, aged 2 years, 19 days. [the funeral will take place from the residence of the parent, "Fort Nicholas," between Washington and Market streets, at 10 o'clock tomorrow (Saturday).]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
danderup 1223572044000 
Robert Jerin 1223637537000 
danderup 1223687222000 
Mohnbauer 1236521899000 
Robert Jerin 1236522360000 
Mohnbauer 1236523152000 
Robert Jerin 1236529835000 
Mohnbauer 1236530933000 
danderup 1236535130000 
Robert Jerin 1236537539000 
per page