Interested in any info on additional Bachmann/Kunz connections with Magdeburg per below
From : An Illustrated History of San Joaquin County, 1890
C. A. BACHMANN, of the firm Bachmann & Brandt, proprietors of the chicory factory, near Stockton, is an old resident of San Joaquin County, and a native of Magdeburg, Prussia, his parents being Henry and Teresa (Kunz) Bachmann. His father was a government officer in the military department. He received his education in his native town, and after completing same served an apprenticeship at the upholstering trade, then traveled throughout Germany, Russia, Austria, Hungary, France, and indeed all over the continent. He then entered the military service of his country, joining the Twelfth Hussar Regiment, and took part in the wars of Baden and Holstein.
Leaving the army in 1853 he emigrated to America, going to St. Anthony’s Falls, Minnesota, where he established a furniture factory. In 1859 he gave up business and started for California, landing on the 24th of October, 1859; remained in San Francisco until the spring of 1860, when he started to the mines of Washington Territory; not being successful as a miner, he returned to San Francisco, where he obtained employment in a carpet store. In 1871 he came to San Joaquin County and purchased a ranch of several hundred acres and commenced farming. Having some knowledge of the chicory business, and thinking the same would prove profitable, he turned his attention to the cultivation and manufacture of the article. With his partner, he now has the largest chicory factory in the United States, with a trade extending throughout the Pacific coast and Central States of the Union. In 1889 they worked up 6,000 tons of the roots, producing one-fourth that weight of the finished product ready for market. Mr. Bachmann was in Europe in 1884, visiting relatives and friends; while there he looked over the field of manufacture in his business and, selecting the most improved machinery, purchased the same for his factory.
Mr. Bachmann is a prominent and active member of the Masonic order, belonging to Stockton Chapter, No. 28, R. A. M.; also Stockton Commandery, No. 8, Knights Templar, and has taken the Thirty-second degree, Scottish Rite; he attended the Triennial Conclave at San Francisco in 1883,
and again at St. Louis in 1886. In politics he is a Republican. Mr. Bachmann is one of the substantial men of San Joaquin County, and also among the most active.
Stockton City Directories: 1891, 1893, 1895-96, 1896-97; Occupation listed as co-proprieter with Charles H W Brandt of the California Chicory Works; Residence San Joaquin River Road, 7 miles. Directories: 1898-99, 1900; Occupation listed as Vice President, H C Shaw Company; same Residence. Directories: 1900-01, 1905; Occupation listed as co-proprieter, California Chicory Works; Residence French Camp.
From CA Historical sites webpage: “NO. 935 CALIFORNIA CHICORY WORKS - The partnership of C. A. Bachmann and Charles H. W. Brandt, formed in 1885, was the largest chicory supplier in America while operating at this site during the 1890s. Chicory roots are roasted, ground, and used as a mixture with or substitute for coffee. Using its own ship, The Dora, and the finest German equipment to process the chicory, the company shipped its product to market until about 1911.
Location: 1672 W Bowman Rd, 2.2 mi W of I-5, French Camp.” Website for current (2004) use of facilites: URL http://www.therivermill.com/
1900 federal Census, CA, San Joaquin, Castoria Twsp (selected)
Bachman, Carl A/Head/Jan 1827/73/Wd/-/-/DEU/DEU/DEU/Farmer
Kruft, Anna/Adopt dau/Jun 1869/30/S/-/-/CA/DEU/DEU/-
4 servants in household
Tombstone in Section 23 (step to familiy plot labeled “BACHMAN.”; major monument in center of familiy plot has “BACHMANN” along with the names of C A & Dorthea engraved on one face and “BRANDT” engraved on the reverse face). A tombstone to the left and in front of the major monument in the center of familiy plot reads;”C A Bachmann, 1827 - 1903”. Have photo.