Search for content in message boards

NEW -dna evidence suggests...Moddi/Moody/Moodie/Mudie -Orkney-Norway

Replies: 2

NEW -dna evidence suggests...Moddi/Moody/Moodie/Mudie -Orkney-Norway

Posted: 1518713955000
Classification: Query
Surnames: MODDI/Moody/Moodie/Mudie/Kennedy/Stewart/Shannon/Sinclair
I know I have posted this info a lot on here but it is in case new folks come along and want to see the latest Updates. I just did an autosomal dna test here on Ancestry and my father did a Ydna test years ago with another company.
His dna showed we were definitely descended Anciently from some Norwegian lineage over to Scotland and then No. Ireland before our family came to Maine, USA.
My recent dna test confirmed this but showed maps that lit up showing Where my/our dna was from. The entire island of Norway was highlighted as our Scandinavian dna is very strong. But I was shocked and delighted to see that my dna lit up the eastern most half (just the half) of the Orkney Islands. Literally from Shapinsay to Sandwick including Kirkwall, Melsetter (where numerous Moodie's at one time lived). Mine also showed the areas of Fifeshire, Aberdeen, Arbroath, Ayrshire, Dornoch, Inverness, Paisley Renfrewshire, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Thurso, Caithness, etc. etc. However, I do have to keep in mind that since my test includes the female sides, this could take some consideration as well. But, I do know for a fact that we share ydna with Moody's/Moodie's whose lines came from Fifeshire, Aberdeenshire, Renfrewshire, and Ayrshire, Scotland. The fact that Dornoch and Caithness lit up was even more exciting because that is where the Bishop William MOODIE served waaaay back in time the 1400's as I recall. His brother Gilbert MUDIE (as his name was spelled) lived in Ayrshire, Scotland and married into the KENNEDY family to whom we also have Documented and share Ydna with.
When my own dna test results came back, among the Surnames I share dna with, were MOODY (of course), KENNEDY, ROSS, SHANNON, MacDonald (every spelling imaginable), SINCLAIR, STEWART, MITCHELL (MIchel in Norway?)etc. the list is endless as far as those Surnames that everyone seems to be linking to the Robert MODDI/Moddy/Moody line of Orkney to Norway. So perhaps, just perhaps this (my own) dna test is showing us a link to these families that while paperwork may not be so readily available to Prove it to us solidly, the dna can. This is my hope anyway.
I hope this new info is of some help to those researching the Robert MODDI line of Bergen, Norway said to be from the Kirkwall area of Orkney where my own dna is showing a definite link to.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MoodieScotIre 1518713955000 
MoodieScotIre 1518714486000 
lori obrien 1534120702000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic