Search for content in message boards

John Downey-Anastasia Pender Family

Replies: 0

John Downey-Anastasia Pender Family

Posted: 1264470895000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downey, Pender, Manning, Murphy, Dargan, Powers, Walsh
Seek information about the family of JOHN and ANASTASIA (PENDER) DOWNEY of Callan, Co. Kilkenny. They had at least 4 children: 1851-JOHN DOWNEY (Godparents: Patrick MANNING, Catherine MURPHY), 1853-WALTER DOWNEY (Godparents: Michael DARGAN, Mary PENDER), 1859-BRIDGET DOWNEY (Godparents: John DARGAN, Mary DARGAN), 1861-PATRICK DOWNEY (Michael DARGAN, Mary DARGAN).

Brothers John and Walter sailed to the US in 1872 and my Gr. Grandfather, Walter DOWNEY, settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After finding John DOWNEY in the 1911 census, I now believe that John must have returned to Ireland at some point in time. My Grandmother had a letter from STASIA DOWNEY of Kilbricken, Callan, Co. Kilkenny, telling of the death of her father on Oct. 17 or 14, 1922. I think this must be John DOWNEY, Walter’s brother. In the 1911 Irish census, there is a JOHN and ELIZABETH DOWNEY living with 4 of their 5 living children (EDWARD, PATRICK, JOHN, AUGUSTINE) in Kilbricken, Callan Rural, North Kilkenny. Perhaps Stasia DOWNEY was the eldest child and off on her own by this time?

The only other names I have that are associated with this family are MAGGIE and ELLEN POWERS who lived in Philadelphia and were described by my Grandmother (Loretta DOWNEY) as “my father’s cousins” and WALTER WALSH who was a witness to Walter Downey’s marriage in Philadelphia in 1880. I found a STASIA WALSH in the 1911 Kilkenny census living in the home of MICHAEL DARGAN JR. so there may be a connection between the DARGAN, DOWNEY and WALSH families.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I am hoping that there are some descendants of this family still in the Kilkenny area. I would love to reconnect with them!

Find a board about a specific topic