Search for content in message boards

Lancelot WATSON b.c1721 of Newry, Co. Down, Nor. Ireland

Replies: 0

Lancelot WATSON b.c1721 of Newry, Co. Down, Nor. Ireland

Posted: 1518551547000
Classification: Query
Surnames: WATSON, MOODY, KENNEDY
I am searching for info to see if Lancelot Watson b.c1721 had a son named John b. c1754 who married Margaret LESLEY of Co. L'derry, Ire. They had a son John WATSON b. Feb. 1788 who married Mary Jean McLAUGHTON. They in turn had a daughter Margaret WATSON b. 1824 who married Henry Bruce MOODY b. Nov. 1820 son of John MOODY and Mary HOPKINS (John Moody son of Alexander Moody and Priscilla Dick), of Lenamore/Magilligan, Co. L'derry, Ire. These are proven via ydna and also via documentation from PRONI records, deeds, wills, marriages, cemetery, baptism records etc.
I know from documentation that Lancelot WATSON had a daughter named Ann WATSON because her marriage record is as follows: Rev. John MOODY b. Dec. 11, 1742 Newry, Co. Down died July 15, 1813 in Dublin married Ann WATSON daughter of Lancelot WATSON. She was born 1750 in Newry, Co. Down and died after Dec. 1813.
Lancelot WATSON was High Constable of Newry and in Oct. of 1756 he created a census of that town.
Our MOODY's (Moodie and Mudie as the names were originally spelled in the old church records at Ballykelly Presbyterian Church in Co. L'derry), have been proven to link to Rev. John Moody's family who his parents were Rev. James Moody of Newry who was a non-subscribing Presbyterian minister for 40 years., and his wife Frances KENNEDY daug. of Rev. Gilbert Kennedy and Elizabeth LAING.
Rev. James Moody's parents were John MOODIE (of Clare and Tandragee, Co Armagh, Ire.) and Elizabeth SHANNON. (we have documented these families and then they are proven also via Ydna and my own autosomal dna test.
There is a LOT of info on these families posted at the MOODY forum. The Kennedy's are listed in the old FASTI records and the intermingling of our families are numerous.
Some of these family branches removed to Australia (Victoria area and Perth and other places too I'm sure), also to New Zealand, Nova Scotia Canada where we link to an Isreal MOODY and wife Elizabeth CASKIE/Caskey who had a son Robert who married Mary or Mararet McNUTT and they were of Kings Co., Nova Scotia.
Another line that is linked via ydna is that of an early Moody line in the Annapolis Co., Nova Scotia line going back to a James MOODY and Sarah BAKER whose son Thomas Moody married an Eleanor PHINNEY and had an extended family.
Mine is that of a James MOODY b.c1745 who showed up in Jan. 1774 when he married my 5th grt. grandmother Elizabeth DONALD in Buxton, Maine.
A line from the Roe Valley in Nor. Ireland going back to a William Moody links to our line as well as several others including Moody families from OH, MD, NC, CT etc.

I know this is lengthy but I wanted to cover all the bases in case others out there are searching these lines too.
Our MOODY/Moodie/Mudie/Moddi family is said to have started out very anciently in Norway (at least my dad's dna is saying that as well as my own), then over to Scotland, Orkney Islands from Shapinsay to Sandwick including Melsetter where a lot of MOODIE's were from, they were in Ayrshire where Gilbert Mudie lived and he also married a KENNEDY. His brother was bishop William MOODIE of Dornoch chapel.
However our ydna cousins family genealogies state their ancestors came from the Fifeshire area of Scotland. My own dna is showing links there as well as Glasgow, Paisley, Edinburg, Dornoch, Ayr, Inverness, the Orkney Islands (the whole eastern side of the islands) etc.
We do NOT match ydna to any of the Moody's coming out of the early Yorkshire lineages or other places there. Our strongest ties stem from the Nor. Ireland Moody's.

Any further info on Lancelot WATSON who may have had a son John Watson who married Margaret LESLEY would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic