Search for content in message boards

Frederick JOHNSON born 1879, lived in in Downham Market

Replies: 5

Re: Frederick JOHNSON born 1879, lived in in Downham Market

Posted: 1358895502000
Classification: Biography
Edited: 1358948118000
Surnames: WEBB,
"which name was change to ? Bardolph?" The census reads Stow Bardolph

You can see the history of this place if you Google it.
Vilage Information, History and Genealogy


Stow Bardolph is a small village, tucked away to one side of the modern A10, just outside Downham Market. Farming has traditionally been (and still remains) the main activity in the area.

The village name has evolved from Stowe Bardolf meaning "Meeting place of the Bardolfs". This almost certainly came about as a result of connections with the Lords Bardolf, from nearby Wormegay Castle.

The village centres around the site of Stow Hall, a stately mansion constructed by Nicholas Hare, Esq. Master of the Rolls and Keeper of the Great Seal in 1589, at a cost of £40,000. Nicholas Hare also constructed Hare Chapel - a large annexed dormitory for the interment of himself and family adjoining the Church, which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

Since that time, the Hare family have played a significant role in the village's history. In 1622, Sir Ralph Hare built six almshouses, and provided them with 86 acres of land for division among the inmates. Later, in 1744, Sarah Hare commited the sin of sowing on a Sunday. Whilst doing so, she pricked her finger and, shortly afterwards, died of blood poisoining. In her will, she requested that six poor men from the parish act as her pallbearers, and they each receive five shillings for their services. She also bequeathed two shillings and sixpence to each of the poor residents of Alms Row, and requested that an effigy of her face and hands be made and placed in a Mahogany case, close to where she was buried. The effigy still remains in the Hare Chapel of Stow Bardolph's Holy Trinity Church, acting as a warning to Sabbath breakers. It is the only funerary effigy of it's kind outside of Westminster Abbey.

One pub remains in the centre of the village - the Hare Arms. The original building was erected during the Napoleonic wars, (at a time when Nelson travelled through the village en route to his ship in London), and the transformation of the house into an inn took place when Captain Thomas Hare offered it to three soldiers.


Frederick married and had at least one child, and he can be seen on the 1911 census

Name Relation Condition /
Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where born
JOHNSON, Frederick Head Married M 33 1878 Farmer Norfolk Stow Bardolph
JOHNSON, Elizabeth Wife Married 4 years F 27 1884 Ramsey Huntingdonshire
JOHNSON, Ronald Son Single M 1 1910 Norfolk Stow Bardolph
WEBB, Walter Servant Single M 15 1896 Works On Farm Norfolk Stow Bardolph
Parish: Stow Bardolph
Address: Barroway Drive Downham
County: Norfolk

Name: JOHNSON, Ronald Frederick
Registration district: Downham
County: Norfolk
Year of registration: 1909
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3
Volume no: 4B
Page no: 290
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
immisty038 1358886338000 
crusoe123 1358895502000 
immisty038 1359149719000 
crusoe123 1359151896000 
immisty038 1359753607000 
crusoe123 1359757832000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic