Board:
Message Boards > Localities > Central Europe > Slovakia > General

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.ceeurope.slovakia.general/6494/mb.ashx

Subject: Missing information in the parish records of L'ubotin?
Author: hi_there_
Date: Monday, October 14, 2019
Classification: Query
Surnames:

I am not sure how to go about this, or if there is even a way to combat this problem, but I figured I might as well post about this to see if anyone else has gone through a similar problem or can offer any advice.

It is becoming really difficult to research my family line from L'ubotin. The parish records on familysearch go back to 1777 for marriages and 1787 for baptisms, but it seems like there are tons of missing records.

For instance, the baptism record for my 4th great grandfather Michael Misenko simply does not exist. I know he was born around 1818, and I know for a fact that he was born in L'ubotin because every source I have on him states so. Despite all of that, there simply appears to be no baptism record for him, which makes trying to find his true parents terribly difficult.

Of course I would not bother posting this if it was just a slight fluke for my 4th great grandfather, but the records from L'ubotin, at least the ones available through familysearch, are missing whole chunks of people; it feels like almost a quarter of the entire village is missing...

I first thought maybe my ancestor was not baptized? But I honestly doubt an entire quarter of a village would just randomly not get baptized.

Literally at least a quarter of my relatives from L'ubotin that I find in marriage records can not be traced back to a baptism record, even if their denomination was roman catholic. (The parish records from L'ubotin are roman catholic)

The most annoying part of this is that the parish records from L'ubotin go back to 1787! So I feel like I should be able to find 99% of my ancestors and relatives from this village, but in reality I can only find like 50% to 75%, and I end up stuck with brick walls in the early/mid 1800s.

This is such a shame for me because I am usually able to get back to the early 1700s, and very rarely the late 1600s with village records that end in the late 1700s.

Obviously I can't do that with the parish records from L'ubotin because of how much information that you would think would be there simply is not.

If you would like any other examples of missing information other than my 4th great grandfather please say so, I will be happy to share everything I have. I have found one case so far where an entire family is missing except for one of their daughters. They were in the 1869 census, but the only baptism record was of one of their daughters.

I would really appreciate any helpful advice or insight into this problem.
Thank you.