Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > Special > SE Creeks

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.usa.special.secreeks/2978.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: McGillivray Plantation
Author: esleslie
Date: Saturday, December 8, 2007
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGillivray

Back in 2001, my friend Prof. Woodie Wallace, a McGillivray descendant, sent me the following excerpt. Woodie said it was submitted by Clayton G. Metcalf who compiled it under the heading "Information on the McGillivray Family." Unfortunately, this is the only part of the email I still have in my notes so I don't know exactly what publication Mr. Metcalf's info was submitted to, but here's what he submitted, condensed a bit by Woodie:
"On May 21, 1890..another good and useful deed was recorded to the credit of the Alabama Anthropological Society when it celebrated it's twenty-first anniversary by the unveiling of an imposing marker locating the site of the McGillivray Plantation as of 1740...near the Thelma Baptist Church, four miles North of Wetumpka, on the old Howell Rose place in Elmore County.
The huge monolith, marking the historic site, is a rugged native boulder, eight feet high and weighing some five tons. It was taken from the bed of a nearby stream and on it is superimposed a handsome bronze tablet which contains the following inscription:
The McGillivray Plantation known as "Little Talase" and "The Apple Grove" - 1740 - 1793. Here lived Lachlan McGillivray, Scotch trader among the Indians. His wife was Sehoy, of the Creek tribe of the Wind. Here was born their son, General Alexander McGillivray, who went in 1790 with Colonel Marinus Willett from this plantation to New York City to visit President George Washington...."
There is more on the inscription but since this post is getting long, I'll just add the last sentence: "This marker was placed here by the Alabama Anthropological Society on May 13, 1890." (end of quotation)
We attempted to locate the stone and marker back then, but apparently it is no longer there. I think I have a picture of it somewhere and will see if I can locate it and post it here. You might try contacting Steve Travis. If anybody knows exactly where the plantation was it would be Steve.
Evelyn Sizemore Leslie