Board:
Message Boards > Surnames > Hancock

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.hancock/2828/mb.ashx

Subject: INFO NEEDED: Kezer Hancock & Christina Peters (Leighton-Hancock) Adopted John E. Hodge & Sarah E. Hodge
Author: blod6
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hancock, Hodge, Peters, Peter, Heath, Leighton, Hoffman

My 2nd great grandfather John Evandel Hodge (often appears as John A. Hodge) and his sister Sarah Ellen Hodge were adopted approximately 1850 in Illinois. My understanding is that formal adoptions did not happen back then, but that John and Sarah’s biological parents may have been neighbors or related by marriage to the adoptive parents Kezer Hancock and his wife Christina J. Peters (Leighton-Hancock).

I am desperately trying to locate the biological parents to John Evandel Hodge and Sarah Ellen Hodge. This might be more information than what’s needed, but maybe someone with the same Hodge’s in their trees can reach out and and we can help eachother. This is what I have on John and Sarah Hodge. After John and Sarah’s info, I’m looking for more info on his adoptive parents and all of their info is listed below. There’s far too many road blocks in adoptions.

My 2nd great grandfather is;

John Evandel Hodge (listed on census and other records sometimes as John A. Hodge)

Born 11/29/1848 Pekin, Illinois
* History of Tazewell County lists his date of birth as 10/16/1850
* 1860 Groveland, Tazewell, Illinois Census shows date of birth as 1852 (lists possible sister Sarah E. Hodge born 1849)
* 1880 Groveland, Tazewell, Illinois Census shows date of birth as 1852
* 1900 Tremont, Tazewell, Illinois Census shows date of birth as 3/1848
* 1910 Pekin Twp, Tazewell, Illinois Census shows date of birth being 1855 (I believe this would be him living with his son William after his divorce in 1910; however Census makes his son william as being 17)
* Death Certificate shows date of birth as 11/29/1850 in Pekin, Illinois
* Death Certificate shows date of death as 5/24/1926 in Elm Grove Twp, Tazewell, Illinois
* Death Certificate does not list parents
* Burial 5/26/1926 Lakeside cemetery (I haven’t been able to locate gravesite)

I have not been able to confirm or locate census records for 1850, 1870, 1890, 1910, or 1920.

John Evandel Hodge married Eva May Westapher 6/21/1883 in Peoria, Peoria, Illinois (Though no records have proven this). They divorced

They had 5 children all born in Illinois;
Nellie Elmira Hodge (Crooks) 1884-1942
Archie Raymond Hodge 1886-1935
Chester Hodge 1889-Unknown
William Earl Hodge 1891-1926
Blanche Pearl Hodge (Duley) 1898-1980

Sarah Ellen Hodge (born approx. 1849 Illinois) often appears as Ellen Hodge and after her marriage sometimes as Sarah Ellen Hoffman or Ellen Hoffman. Sarah married William Hoffman born about 1840 in Prussia and died 8/01/1909 in Cook County, Illinois. Children together Julia, William, Edgar, and Nellie Hoffman.

*** I am trying to locate more information on the parents to Christina J. Peters.

Christina J. Peters - Daughter of John Peters, mother unknown
Born - 3/08/1808 in Pennsylvania
Died - 7/08/1890 in Groveland, Tazewell, Illinois

Married - 6/01/1826 to Jacob M. Leighton in Vevay, Switzerland, Indiana
Jacob M. Leighton - Son to Palatiah and Polly Leighton
Born - 2/18/1804 in Rome, Kennebec, Maine
Died - 11/17/1835 in Tazewell, Illinois

Together, Christina and Jacob had sons Noah, David, Jacob, Silas and Andrew Leighton, all born in Illinois.

Married - 1/13/1839 to Kezer Hancock in Groveland, Tazewell, Illinois
Kezer Hancock - Son to Joseph Hancock and Polly Heath
Born - 3/18/1811 in New Hampshire
Died - 6/14/1884 in Groveland, Tazewell, Illinois

Together, Christina and Kezer either adopted or took guardianship of my 2nd great grandfather and his sister John Evandel Hodge and Sarah Ellen Hodge approximately 1850.

Census records state that Christina Peters parents were born in Pennsylvania, as was she. Her marriage license and certificate to Jacob M. Leighton show that her father was John Peters and also lists them born in Pennsylvania.

Without knowing information regarding Christina’s mother or her father John Peters full name or date of birth, I’ve had difficulty locating any siblings of hers.

My goal is to search through her family history to see if my 2nd great grandfather and his sisters biological parents may have married a sibling of hers or somehow known her parents or their siblings, therefore guardianship being passed down to her. I believe I’ve ruled out both of her husbands families.

If someone has access to Christina J. Peters (Christina Leighton) marriage certificate to Kezer Hancock in Tazewell County, Illinois on 1/13/1839 Volume 00A, Page 0050, License Number 00000563, can you either tell me her parents full names, both mother and father if listed or email me personally with a copy?

Or, if anyone has family history knowing who Christina’s parents and/or siblings were, I would greatly appreciate learning the info so that I can continue my search trying to find my 2nd great grandparents biological parents.

Please feel to respond on thread, email through Ancestry or email me personally if unable to on Ancestry.

Bethany
Onlybutterflies84@gmail.com