Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Illinois > Counties > Tazewell

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.illinois.counties.tazewell/1
804.1.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: ADOPTED John E. Hodge & Sarah “Ellen” Hodge (Hoffman) - Adoptive Parents Kezer Hancock & Christina Peters (Leighton-Hancock)
Author: blod6
Date: Saturday, December 22, 2018
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodge, Hancock, Peters, Leighton, Hoffman

Phaedra -

I have paid someone to retrieve information about John Evandel Hodge from the History of Tazewell County. That’s how I confirmed that Christina J. Peters (Hancock) and Kezer Hancock were his adoptive parents. On a census record (1870 I believe ) it shows John in Christina and Kezer’s home listed as adoptive child. Earlier census records before they started listing each members names suggest that John and his sister Sarah Ellen Hodge (Hoffman) may have been living there when they were toddlers, as Christina’s children were all grown at the time and don’t fit into the age categories that were listed in the household at the time.

I was unable to retrieve information during my paid searches for Christina J. Peters (Hancock) or her husband Kezer Hancock. Christina was married once prior to Peter Leighton. I haven’t been able to find much on him either.

I had also paid the Ancestry Sisters to do a search on this family, hoping that I could find whether or not Christina, Kezer or Peter had siblings that may have birthed the Hodge kids and had passed. All they were able to turn up for me was a divorce decree for John Hodge and Eva Westapher. The divorce decree detailed an abusive and neglectful marriage and was also the last mention of one of their children Chester Hodge. It seems as though most of this family stayed off of records because most were hrs to locate on the census as well.

The Ancestry Sisters were also able to pull some Census records with other Hodge’s in the area during the time frame I’ve been searching for, however, my paid membership ended, which prohibited any further searches.

I feel as though I’ve hit a brick wall with these guys.

My mother and I have done our dna through Ancestry and there’s a lot of members with Hodge relations. Some have members from my tree. However, some have either not responded to inquiries regarding these members or they also hit a brick wall.

I’m not sure if this post will go through with an inactive membership. If it does/doesn’t, I can also be reached at onlybutterflies84@gmail.com.

I’d appreciate any help you might be able to offer. If not, I complete understand. Let me know if it would help to send you an invite to our tree.