Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Illinois > Counties > Tazewell

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.illinois.counties.tazewell/1
803/mb.ashx

Subject: Hodge death between 1849-1852 & orphaning small children???
Author: blod6
Date: Monday, June 11, 2018
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodge, Hancock, Peters

I’m looking for possible Hodge’s that passed away between 1849-1852 and leaving behind at least two small children to be adopted out together to a family in Tazewell County Illinois.

I’ve now learned that my gg John Evandel Hodge aka John A. Hodge was born in Pekin Illinois. His date of birth has a few discrepancies, likely due to his being an orphan. Census shows his birth being approximately 11/29/1848, History of Tazewell County Illinois shows his birth being 10/16/1850 and his death certificate that I have shows his birth being 11/29/1850. He died in Tazewell County 5/24/1926.

1860 U.S. Census records place my gg John Hodge in the household of Kiser and Christina Hancock, both age 47, farmers in Groveland Township, Tazewell County. Kiser was born in New Hampshire, Christina in Pennsylvania. In that census, he is called "John A. Hodge," age 8, and in the same household is "Sarah E. Hodge," age 11. Census records have misspellings of adoptive father Kiser’s name.

John appears in the 1880 U.S. Census, again in the household of "Keeser" and Christina Hancock, both age 69, both born in Pennsylvania (sic), farmers in Groveland Township, Tazewell County. In that census, he is again called "John A. Hodge," age 28, born in Illinois, and there he is called the "adopt. son" of Keeser and Christina Hancock. The fact that he was adopted by the Hancocks would explain why you have had so much trouble locating his parents. Notice that Sarah E. Hodge is no longer living in this household -- by this time she would be married and living under a different surname (unless she has already passed away).

"Keeser" Hancock is Kezer Hancock, died 14 June 1884, buried in Shannon Cemetery in Groveland. Buried next to him is his widow Christina (Peters) Hancock, died 8 July 1890, daughter of John Peters. Kezer was her second husband -- her first husband was Jacob Leighton. You can find their memorials at Find-A-Grave, with photographs of their gravestones.

The fact that John and Sarah kept their surname of "Hodge" suggests that they may have been related in some way to Kiser and Christina Hancock, who perhaps took them in when they became orphans.

Kiser Hancock and his wife Christina may have been pioneer anecdotes. Also, the 1873 "Atlas Map of Tazewell County," page 140, shows the farm of "K. Hancock" about a mile and a half northwest of Groveland, in Section 21 of Groveland Township.

Long story short, I am trying to locate parents to my John Evandel Hodge (or John A Hodge) born about 1848/1850 and a Sarah E Hodge born about 1849 in Pekin, Illinois. Biological parents born in Illinois to the best of my knowledge and died in Illinois about between 1849-1852 orphaning at least 2 of their children who were adopted by Kiser Hancock and Christina Peters (Hancock) daughter of John Peters around 1850-1852.

Anyone with info please email me here or personally at onlybutterflies84@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Bethany