Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Tennessee > Counties > Hickman

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.tennessee.counties.hickman/1
574.1.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Mathis/Wilhite
Author: rickcowey54
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mathis Hicks Garrett

John
I noticed the Mathis family in your post.
My Hicks family were somehow joined to the Mathis family of Beaverdam Creek near Aetna Hickman County.
Near Aetna are two landmarks that I have discovered Hicks Hollow and Mathis Hollow.
The Hicks and Mathis families Elizabeth Hicks and Nancy Mathis were together with there families but after the Civil War all trace disappeared.
It was from 1830 until 1850 they were there as well as another family I am connected to the Garretts. Levi Garrett was a bit of a no-hoper according to the transcripts of the Hickman County Pioneers.
Not sure if you know anything about my families but if you do please touch base.
Elizabeth Hicks was married to John Hicks the son of early settler Littleberry Hicks, Johns son Alexander (1834-1909) left the family at age 15 to chase the gold in 1849 first to California and then to Australia arriving in 1854 and never returned even tho he was rich enough to do so. His father John died in Aetna in 1846-47 and as he didnt have much chance at his age left them all to discover the world. Very daring for a 15 year old back then.
Thanks for listening hope you may be able to shed some light for me.
Rick
Gold Coast Queensland Australia.
PS Travelling to Aetna later this year to do some digging.