Board:
Message Boards > Surnames > Cartwright

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.cartwright/1546/mb.ashx

Subject: +Thomas Cartwright & Mary Jenkins of Smith County, TN.
Author: Shirley McKenzie
Date: Monday, November 21, 2016
Classification: Query
Surnames:

A number of my cousins have copied a record for Thomas Cartwright & Mary Jenkins who lived in Smith County, TN long after OUR Thomas Cartwright died (1814) in Blount County, TN. Thomas of Blount's widow Mary (maiden name unknown) had children that were not only named in his will but the entire group moved west over the years. Which made them easy to follow. Their children were sons: Matthew, John Nelson, James Robertson and Thomas and daughters Nancy, Mary 'Polly' & Sarah. (Sarah cannot be seen in other records). All of these children went first to Lawrence County, TN by 1830 (I think they were still back in Blount in 1810/1820 for they cannot be found & the Blount census was lost. That implies we know where they WEREN'T). By 1835 the entire group, along with the George Rogers family all moved to Tippah County, MS. They are seen in various tax lists, land records and censuses. They are in the 1840, 1850, 1860, etc. Federal censuses.
I urge any researcher following the family of Thomas of Blount to NOT use the Smith County Thomas Cartwright family. Again, the Thomas of the Lawrence, TN/Tippah family died in 1814 acc to his will. Also, youngest son Thomas was b in that year and he is the last child in the family which I believe supports the death of the father. Thank you and as researchers we should post families only when we have either a Source or explain our evidence. Shirley (Cartwright/Rogers) McKenzie