Message Boards > Topics > Ancestry.com > Ancestry Site Comments

URL:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/topics.ancestry.ancsite/14002/mb.ashx

Subject: GenForum Search Capabilities
Author: whhous89
Date: Sunday, March 22, 2015
Classification: Query
Surnames:

The new "Read Only" Genforum might as well be taken down entirely as it is virtually unusable. I can't believe anyone that anyone with even a bare bones knowledge of genealogical research would have designed the new format.

Example. I cannot find a way to conduct a search within a single forum. One can only search through all message board posts, which can yield thousands of results. Today I wanted to search for the surname Nicholson in the Harris Forum but the search pulled 31,000+ results from the entire universe of forums.

Also, one used to be able to click on any post and see the contributor's e-mail address. Now, you have to conduct a search for the contributor's name among all GenForum contributors to get a list of e-mail addresses. You must do additional searches for each address to view their posts and (hopefully) identify the person you wish to contact. Good luck if the person you want to contact is named John Smith. I guess identifying the e-mail address of the person you want is possible, but it sure does take a lot of valuable time.

If anyone can tell me how to do productive searches under the new format I'd be most grateful. If this is "user error' I'll be happy to retract my comments. Thank you.