Wyoming Military Records
From Ancestry.com Wiki
This entry was originally written by Dwight A. Radford in Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources.
Historically, Wyoming was home to several military posts. They played an important role in the history and development of the state, acting as a drawing point for settlers, Native American, and soldiers in an otherwise empty landscape. The Wyoming State Archives has records for these posts during their period of operations as follows:
- Fort Bridger, 1858–90
- Fort Casper (Old Platte Bridge), 1865–67
- Fort Fetterman, 1867–82
- Fort Francis E. Warren (Post on Crow Creek; also known as Fort David A. Russell), 1867–1948
- Fort Fred Steele, 1868–86
- Fort Laramie, 1849–90
- Fort McKinney (Cantonment Reno), 1876–94
- Camp O. O. Howard, 1885
- Fort Philip Kearney (New Fort Reno), 1866–68
- Fort Bridge (Fort Davis, Fort Clay), 1855–59
- Pilot Butte, 1885–99
- Fort Reno (Fort Connor), 1865–68
- Fort Sanders (Fort John Buford), 1866–82
- Camp Stambaugh, 1870–78
- Fort Washakie (Camp Augur, Camp Brown), 1869–1909
- Fort Yellowstone (Camp Sheridan), 1886–1918
For soldiers who served in the Civil War, service records will be found in Nebraska Territory.
The Wyoming State Archives has records of those killed during World War I and the records of National Guardsmen from the state. The WWI Draft Registration Cards for Wyoming (1917–18) are at the National Archives and on microfilm at the FHL. The Wyoming State Archives also has Selective Service Cards (1942–46).
The state archives has military discharge records. Since soldiers were not required to file their discharge records at the county clerk’s office, they may not be complete. Most of the discharge records begin in the early twentieth century; in order to check these records the researcher needs to know the county in which the ancestor filed for discharge. Most of the county discharge records are indexed.
The State Adjutant General’s Office also has military records. For more information, contact the Adjutant General’s Office, 5500 Bishop Blvd., Cheyenne, WY 82002.