Wyoming Land Records
This entry was originally written by Dwight A. Radford in Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources.
Wyoming is a Public-Domain State.
Land records in Wyoming begin as early as 1841, although most county land records begin after 1869. Several land offices were opened in Wyoming, the first having opened at Cheyenne in 1870. As additional land opened up for settlement, other land offices opened at Evanston (1877), Buffalo (1888), Douglas (1890), Lander (1890), and Sundance (1890). Records generated through these offices include cash entries, homestead certificates, canceled homestead entries, timber-culture final certificates, canceled timber-culture entries, desert-land final certificates, canceled desert-land entries, and timber and stone lands.
An inventory of all Bureau of Land Management (BLM) records on file at the National Archives—Rocky Mountain Region (see page 12) can be found in Eileen Bolger, Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Land Management—Wyoming (Denver: Federal Archives and Records Center, 1983). BLM records consist of the records of the six land offices and include land patents, rights, and claims. The BLM Wyoming State Office, 5353 Yellowstone Rd., Cheyenne, WY 82003-1828 www.wy.blm.gov has records of the grantees of the original land patents. An index to the land that went to patent can be found on the BLM search website at www.glorecords.blm.gov.
Most county land records begin after 1869. All county land transactions are available at the Wyoming State Archives from 1869 to 1970, as well as all unpatented homestead records. Later county records can be found in the county’s courthouse.