Talk:World Archives Project: West Yorkshire, England, Removal and Settlement, 1627-1912
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: I'm not sure I'm keying these documents correctly. I'm confused about the definition of settlement. It seems like the only thing we're suppose to key is documents pertaining to wards aka dependents of the parish regarding being assigned or transfered to another parish, but there is also lists of "settling" accounts. They are receipts for payment of goods and services and signed at the bottom "settled by..." Are these documents considered settlements that we should be transcribing?
- A: Generally these will be Cover pages but sometimes they are about costs for removing someone - and we would want the name of the individual keyed. ... So if there is a mention of the individual who was moved they should be keyed but if it is just referencing the goods then it would be a cover page. Annafechter 01:12, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
Q: What do we key when year is written as 1713/14, please? Only seen one and have just keyed it as it was written. Thanks.
- A: Key the first year in the range - in this case, 1713. Annafechter 01:12, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
Q: A list of payments from fathers for bastard children "Affiliation Orders". Do we list the names on this or do we only list removal and settlement records?
- A: These records should be keyed. Annafechter 01:12, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
Q: Affiliation Orders; Claims made by mothers against the fathers of bastard children. Should we call these cover sheets or Key the names and parishes? I have been calling them cover sheets.
- A: Either way is fine. So if you come across one that is keyed, review it as is and if you come across one that is marked as a Cover page review it as it.
Q: This question came up on the Shoreditch removal project too and I don't think it ever got an official resolution. What do we do when a child is unnamed? The document says something like "Joe Smith, his wife Jane and their infant child". I've been keying "Blank first name" "Smith" to represent the child. Is that right?
- A: Yes, that is correct.
Q: When 2 (or more) parishes are listed at the top (e.g.: to the churchwardens and overseers ... of Wilsden ... and to the churchwardens and overseers ... of Bingley ...), how do we decide which one to key? Usually one or the other is mentioned again further down the page, so would we key that one? Or do we just key the first one mentioned? Would we key the town/parish that the person is being removed FROM, or the one they are going TO? --Collier Smith 22:32, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Q: Many of the reverse sides of the removal orders have a hand-written note to the effect of "A copy of the removal order was served with (name of subject) to (name of overseer) of (place) on (date)." Do we key this as a "Document or Register" (it does contain every element, including the word "removal", but keying it is usually redundant to the previous image), or do we key it as a Cover page, or Image with no Data, since we are ignoring the data on it? --Collier Smith 22:43, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- A: (for both questions above) Key the parish listed first and if it is a document regarding the removal it should be keyed. " ...key records relating to settlement, examination and removal. " (per Anna Fechter, on the Facebook forum).
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.