Talk:World Archives Project: West Yorkshire, England, Alehouse Licences, 1771-1962
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: Are we keying business names? E.g. "Messrs Bentley & Shaw." If so, how should these be keyed?
- A: I would key business names in the given field. If Anna decides she doesn't want them the line can be easily deleted. --<a href="User:Wiedwoman">Wiedwoman</a> 15:58, 20 October 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: Are we keying crossed out information where there is no "replacement" information? (I have whole pages of these, where alehouses have eventually been closed down by the authorities.)
- A: Yes, key crossed out names per keying standards. --<a href="User:Wiedwoman">Wiedwoman</a> 15:58, 20 October 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: The instructions say to key all names on the record but image 2 doesn't seem to record the names of the justices. Are we keying every name regardless of the context or just keying those of the licencees?
- A: Yes, we are keying the names of all individuals who appear on the record. This includes Licensees, Owners, those who the license is Transferred to, and more. <a href="User:Afechter1">Afechter1</a> 06:06, 4 October 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: How would I key Honorable The Earl of Wilton as owner of premises?
- A: Per Keying standards
- Honorable (prefix) </dd>
- Earl of Wilton (given) </dd>
- "blank"(surname) </dd></dd>
Q: See example below. This letter (several pages)is scanned on top of the entry to which it refers. It has information regarding the owner of the licensed premises. Is the information on the letter to be keyed? And if so, how?
<img src="/wiki/images/thumb/a/ac/Chillingsworth_ltr.jpg/200px-Chillingsworth_ltr.jpg" _fck_mw_filename="Chillingsworth ltr.jpg" _fck_mw_width="200" alt="" />
Q: The instructions say to key "city or borough" but I have images that show both Borough and "Situation" (which I take to mean locality, or city within a borough). Do we key only the borough, only the city, or both? --Collier Smith 18:54, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.