Talk:World Archives Project: Victoria, Australia, Police Gazettes, 1855-1892 (Part 3)
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the World Archives Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
You may come across surnames where there is a space between Mac and the rest of the surname. For example, Mr. Mac Lean - Mac should be keyed with the surname not as the given name. See the examples below.
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
- Please do not highlight all fields. The only time a highlight needs to be made is if the field turns pink and requests that you confirm the entry is correct. Similarly please do not mark each empty field blank. The only fields that need to be marked blank (and then only if there is nothing to input) are the pink fields.
- There seems to be some confusion over Given names. If the name is Thomas Herbert Smith, Thomas and Herbert go into the given name field and Smith is the surname. Neither Herbert nor Smith is a suffix, nor is the surname Herbert Smith.
- On the image "Discharged From the Penal Establishments etc.", check the last column i.e. Remarks column. This often contains a number of alias names which are being missed.
- Please remember that we do not key names from stolen cheques or letters nor do we key makers names or engravings.
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: In many cases the age of the subject is shown in a range, such as "18 or 19 years old" or "between 30 and 40 years old", how should the age be entered. I think read on another project to use the first figure, but not sure if that is correct. Any advice? Thanks.
- A: When there is an age range enter the first age listed.
Q: I just accidentally submitted a file when I hadn't finished. Is there some way you can find it so I can re-open it and finish?
Q: If I remember correctly from previous versions of this project, we do not key the maker of stolen property or signers of stolen checks. Does this still apply?
- A: Yes.
Q: When keying Chinese name, such as “Ah Nan”, I have been keying both in the surname column. When they are shown in a surname, given name order, such as “Jones, Sam” there is no comma between “Ah” and “Nan” as in most other names. Occasionally there is a 3rd name given, with a comma, such as “Ah Nan, Goom” then I treat “Goom” as a given name. Is this correct? Thanks.
- A: Instructions given previously have been to key "Ah" as the given name and 'Nan" as the surname. With the second example I have been keying as you are doing, assuming of course that "Goom" is not a place name in the context of the sentence.
Q: When keying “Messrs Smith and Jones” I have been putting “Messr” in the prefix box, Blank in the given name box, followed by the surname. I looked up the term “Messrs” and understand it to be a formal address for two or more men. However, when I looked up “Messr”, instead of being the singular for “Messrs” it is described as a derogatory term. Also, when this term is used it often seems to refer to men in a business, but there is no other indication that it is a business. Can you let me know how “Messrs” should be keyed, with or without the “s” or should it be keyed at all? (I hope this question is understandable) Thanks
- A: Correct Sean, Messr is never keyed in these projects as in this case it is the plural of Mr and would be keyed as you stated. Kerrie.
Q: Is Trooper or Constable an acceptable Prefix? Thank you. Virginia.
- A: No, unless the instructions/field help say to, only key normal prefixes such as Mr, Mrs, Dr etc. Kerrie.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.