Talk:World Archives Project: USHMM - Romania, Family Questionnaires for Jewish Holocaust Survivors and Victims, 1945
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Tips and supplemental resources
- Set up a Romanian Keyboard Pick Romanian, programmers, as it is a qwerty. This will make diacriticals MUCH easier to enter. Also, it won't interfere with English language typing.
Extra Keying Helps
Since wap is being unnecessarily paranoid about images this week I apparently must substitute this description rather than the full gallery I want. Which even had the names redacted. --Paulmd199 03:32, 13 May 2011 (UTC)
This is a description of the images you will find.
Dosar tip A and B are nearly identical except for the first page.
|Packet||Page Numbers||First Question or Other Identifier||Form|
|Dosar Tip A||1||Contains Words "Dosar Tip A" in a box||Dosar Tip A|
|Dosar Tip B||1||Contains words "Dosar Tip" B in a box.||Dosar Tip B|
|Dosar Tip||2 and 3||"Cetățenia"||Cover page|
|Dosar Tip||4 and 5||"Lichidări de Intreprinderi ... Prin Violența||Cover page|
|Dosar Tip||6 and 7||"Regimul Muncii Obligitorii"||Cover page|
|Dosar Tip||8 and 9||"Cât a Plătit ... Reintregirii"||Cover page|
|Dosar Tip||10 and 11||"Repercursiunile Acțiunii ... Profesioniștilor"||Cover Page|
|Dosar Tip||12 and 13||"Ocupațiunea și ... Prigoanei"||Cover page|
|Dosar Tip||14 and 15||"Vicitmele din Familia Declarantului"||Other Family File Pages if "Victimele" section filled out. Cover page if left blank.|
|Dosar Tip||(back cover)||"Instrucțiuni Generale"||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||1||"Chestionar pentru"||Family Questionnaire|
|Questionnaire||2 and 3||"Personele in viață care...." Written sideways.||Other Family File Pages if the sideways table is filled out. Cover page if blank. Rotate this page 90° counterclockwise.|
|Questionnaire||4 and 5||"Teroarea antisemită"||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||6 and 7||"Lichidăre de întreprinderi ... administrative"||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||8 and 9||"Pedepse suferite"||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||10 and 11||"Liberi profesioniști radiați din Corpul..."||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||12 and 13||"Asupra meseriașilor"||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||14 and 15||"Cât anual"||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||16 and 17||"Se arată pe cât posibil..."||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||18 and 19||"Se arată, în rubica respectivă..."||Cover page|
|Questionnaire||20||"Note explicative ale declarantului"||Cover page|
- The Lists are deficient in several ways.
- Wrong diacritical marks in the place name lists. ş (s-cedilla) and ţ are used in place of the proper ș (s-comma) and ț, this is due to problems encoding the proper characters in older operating systems. Just note that ş should be ș, and input the proper character. Wikipedia has a detailed discussion of the issue here.
- Lack of diacritical marks in the occupation, relationship and gender lists. You will want to key these. Do not be misled by the lists, key the diacriticals here are some of the most common errors on the lists.
|frati||frați||brothers (brother is frate, which the list has right)|
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
- Dosar B: There are two people on the form, key them both!
- Dosar A: There could be many individuals on the page, be sure to key them all
- Dosar A and B -Profession; You will want the line that reads "Profesiunea principală actuală" not "Calificarea profesională"
- Victimele (other family file) be sure to check if there are names before marking it a cover page.
- Last residence: This is not the place of death. It would be incorrect to infer that they had ever lived where they died.
- Omitting fields. Please account for all the fields that are populated. If data is illegible, mark it thus. But it is preferred that you at least guess.
- Wrong form types -see table above to help identify.
- Not keying as seen. If it says "Tg Frumos", don't expand to "Târgu Frumos".
- Missing diacriticals/ wrong diacriticals. One frequent example I'm seeing is the use of ā (a-macron), which is not used in Romanian. This is most likely an ă or possibly an â. Partially the fault of the aforementioned deficiencies in the lists. See the chart of the Romanian Alphabet to narrow the range of guessing.
- Handwriting..... I'd like to help with that, but can't post example images right now. :(
- Inferring Information. The Total number in family in particular. It's not correct to simply count the number of people accounted for an enter that. What I've found is the number entered by the declarant is very often much higher than the number of people they listed by name.
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: Project Feedback is a must for me. Over 2000 records is enough data for this !
- A: The individual surveys can only be completed on projects that are single-keyer reviewed. This project is double-keyer with an arbitrator. So no surveys were returned, and thus no feedback. For projects which are reviewed, the feedback is for the group as a whole and is not individual. --Paulmd199 05:13, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
Q:I'm working on my first image set for this project and it is showing a document that does not have a Form Type. It has information on it, but nothing that would identify anyone. Do I classify this as Cover page, Section header, etc? The first section is 7. CAT A PLATIT LA IMPRUMUTUL REINTREGIRII. Help!
- A: That's part of the Dosar tip A packet, which is 16 pages. We are only keying the first. So it's a cover page.
--Paulmd199 20:58, 11 May 2011 (UTC)
Q:I have found some instances where for a Type B questionnaire the B has been crossed out and an A has been written over it. Should this be keyed as a Form A or a Form B? Although there isn't much difference in the information contained on each form, there is a difference in who should be designated as "head" in the relationship field.
- A: It should be classed as the replacement form type. --Paulmd199 20:59, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
Paul, if I use the replacement form type, I assume I use the rules for that form. Won't that change whether the primary person shown is actually the "head" rather than a different relationship to the second person shown. I ask this because I recently keyed two image sets. In the first, which was a Type A, person "X" was the primary person and, according to the rules for Type A forms, was the head, and person "Y", who was listed in the next section on the page, was the son. In the second image set, which was a Type B that had been changed to a Type A, that same person "Y" was now the primary person, and his mother, who was person "X" is the second person shown. Under the rules for Type A, I should key "Y" as the "head", but he wasn't the head, because the form was actually filled out as a normal Type B (I hope I'm explaining this in an understandable fashion).
I realize that if I hadn't seen these two separate image sets I would never have known that these forms were for the same family, and I understand that each image set is supposed to stand on its own, and we're not supposed to carry information from one image to the next when keying. However, I still wonder which rule for the relationship field I should use in this situation.
- It would change the rules to be that of the replacement form. Hopefully there won't be too many of these. --Paulmd199 17:48, 13 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: I am not finding anything identified as a "replacement form type"; could you tell me where to find it?
- A: The clerk just scribbled out the "B" and wrote "A" on one of the Dosar forms. --Paulmd199 21:56, 16 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: On Some Type A's I've seen, the primary person is repeated in the list of family members shown in the section at the bottom of the page. Should the information for him/her be repeated, or should it be ignored?
- A: It should not be repeated, but it is always a good idea to use the additional instance to verify the information. --Paulmd199 00:30, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: Should the "number in family" field be filled out in the record for each family member, or only for the primary person?
- A: I don't have an official wap ruling on this yet, but I think that since the number in family was only asked about for the head, it should only be keyed for the head. --Paulmd199 00:30, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: For the form Victimele din Famila Declarantululi, would it be inappropriate to key the place of death as the last residence?
- A: It would be an inference that I think shouldn't be made. One could have never lived at the place of death. --Paulmd199 00:59, 16 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: The record in front of me is a Dosar Tip A and the "Head's" surname and given name are backwards. I know this because the names of his family members are all listed with the surname that has been listed as the given name in the section for the "Head". How should I key this record?
- A: I've been Re-ordering given and surname when I see this. --Paulmd199 19:58, 16 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: For the form Victimele din Famila Declarantululi, we are to key as a cover page if there are no names listed, but what about the name on the signature line? I have been keying that name and answering "No" in the "Is Victim" box. Now I am second guessing myself; what should we be doing?
- A: The person who signed the victimele form has his complete information on the front of the packet. He doesn't need to be keyed. --Paulmd199 00:27, 20 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: If in the relationship column for a list of family members, some names are bracketed and a plural is given (for example souri, meaning sisters), should that plural be keyed for each person, or should the singular (in this case, soră) be keyed for each individual?
A: I don't have a wap official answer on this. Personally, I'm fine with de-pluralizing, but Wap will most likely tell you to key as seen. --Paulmd199 08:38, 28 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: I just opened an image (last page of image set) that is not on a form. I believe that it is a continuation of the "victimele" page. It does not have this heading; however, the columns are clearly laid out. The page lists an additional 10 names of (what I believe to be) victims. I have keyed this page as under "Other Family File Pages". Could someone please advise if this is the correct procedure. I don't want these names NOT to be listed; however, I don't want the entire image set thrown out because I didn't follow procedure.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: I am working on my first record. It is a victims list. There are three and four words describing the relationship with a large bracket indicating that these relationships are the same for the two people listed, one beneath the other to the left of the bracket. My question is should I separate these words with commas, semicolons, or just spaces?
Thanks for your help.
June Longmaid White
- A: I think just spaces... but it doesn't hurt to try Google Translate to see what exactly the words mean.
--Paulmd199 19:05, 13 May 2011 (UTC)
- A2 Update: I just got this one to arbitrate (I think). He wrote "părinți soției mele" (My wife's parents) and "frate și sora soției mele" (My wife's brother and sister). You were very close, only a couple characters different. --Paulmd199 06:42, 14 May 2011 (UTC)
Q: I have a type A form that has two names (say XXXX YYYY) under the surname (Numele de Familie) and then a different name (say ZZZZ) under the given name (Pronumele). From the instructions it sounds like the XXXX is the surname and YYYY is given but since ZZZZ exists, how do I key this? As seen? thx