Difference between revisions of "Talk:World Archives Project: USHMM - Krakow, Poland, Applications for ID Cards for Jews during World War II (Part 3)"
(→Extra Keying Helps)
(→Extra Keying Helps)
|Line 5:||Line 5:|
On the Ergänzungs- and Fragebogen there is a section where it states wether the application for an ID card is successful or not. If "abgelehnt" (denied) is marked. There will be no ID card number or an ID card issue date. It means that the persons are being resettled. An ID Card is only issued when approval is given to persons to remain in Kraków. In that case there is a large syare stamp on the Frage- and Ergänzungsbogen with a 5 digit number and the issue date. In many cases there is also the signature of the person collecting the ID card. So far I have not seen any documents where an ID card was issued.
On the Ergänzungs- and Fragebogen there is a section where it states wether the application for an ID card is successful or not. If "abgelehnt" (denied) is marked. There will be no ID card number or an ID card issue date. It means that the persons are being resettled. An ID Card is only issued when approval is given to persons to remain in Kraków. In that case there is a large syare stamp on the Frage- and Ergänzungsbogen with a 5 digit number and the issue date. In many cases there is also the signature of the person collecting the ID card. So far I have not seen any documents where an ID card was issued
== Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers ==
== Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers ==
Revision as of 04:31, 12 November 2012
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
On the Ergänzungs- and Fragebogen there is a section where it states wether the application for an ID card is successful or not. If "abgelehnt" (denied) is marked. There will be no ID card number or an ID card issue date. It means that the persons are being resettled. An ID Card is only issued when approval is given to persons to remain in Kraków. In that case there is a large syare stamp on the Frage- and Ergänzungsbogen with a 5 digit number and the issue date. In many cases there is also the signature of the person collecting the ID card. So far I have not seen any documents where an ID card was issued. The fields should be left blanc.
Some keyers entered the wrong information in those fields.
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
From Krakow part 2
I have just begun to arbitrate these records and notice recurrent problems, some of which have been mentioned before:
1. Please do not put Jude or Judin as a prefix (it means Jew or Jewess)
2. Please do not put a 0 before a number as in a date.
3. Janner should be keyed as Januar
4. a number of miscellaneous documents and residence requests look similar but are not identical and should be keyed
5. Do not key the signature of the German official at the bottom of some miscellaneous documents.
6. Key only what is seen on that image, for example do not enter a name that was on a previous image but is not on the present one.
- I am hoping that this will help others and make the arbitration easier.
- Patricia Lewin
7. do not create sections for the household members list. --Elisabeth power 10:15, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
8. Remember on Residence Request documents to make sure they are exactly the same if you mark them as a duplicate image.
9. Someone is keying documents that have names and dates on as Cover pages. These should be Miscellaneous and the information entered with the exception of Erganzübogan and Fragebogen card backs, which are image with no data. Household lists These are double pages and sometimes are seperated. If they are seperated and you encounter the second half (without names) mark these as image with no data
10. International characters: Some keyers use characters from the international character board, that are not part of the German or Polish language. "n" with a long line above it signifies "nn". A "u" with a mark above it, simply differentiate "u" from "n". Please do not use the "u" with a bend line.
--Elisabeth power 18:53, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
11. Duplicate image is when the same document is shown twice in a row. Some keyers marking "residence requests" as duplicates when almost all the information on the documents are the same although they are different documents. One documents shows the ID card number the other does not.
12. 'Document type: the difference between "cover page" and "image with no data" is that the "cover page" is retained as a record even we do not key from it. A researcher can still see it by scrolling backwards or forwards. The "image with no data" is not retained.
- I mark all second pages and back of cards where no information is keyed from as "cover page". The only time I use "image with no data" is for a blank image or at the beginning of a microfilm, where the first images contain microfilm storage information. *
- Sxecano: Example of image that should be marked as cover page,
- The above explanation is correct, however because the images for the USHMM projects will not be available on Ancestry whether a document is categorized as a Cover page, Image with no data, or Duplicate is not as much of as issue as making sure we are keying the correct records. Only the indexes are available to be searched on Ancestry. For an example of a live USHMM database click here.Annafechter 15:03, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Second page of Erganzübogen and Fragebogen form (they're cover pages)
Q: What do I enter when there is a ditto mark, indicating the same answer as above? I came across this in the Erganzungsbogen form for the Birth Country.
- A: Enter the data as above. --Paulmd199 02:49, 21 August 2012 (UTC)
Q:' How do we classify the second page of Ergänzungsbogen form type?
- A: I have been arbitrating these as cover pages, as the second page is not shown on the Wiki. We do not key anything from it. I have been choosing cover page for all the other images, that we do not key, because the images is kept and can be seen when researching. If you choose "image with no date", the images is lost. --Elisabeth power 21:49, 16 August 2011 (UTC)
Q: I had asked Support about the questions relating to the second pages. Here are my questions: 1. Should the second page of the Fragebogen or/and Ergänzungsbogen with the signature of the persons concerned be keyed as Miscellaneous or as Cover page etc? 2.Should the second page of the ID card (Kennkarte)be keyed if it only has the birth date of the primary person and there are no children listed on the page? Here is the reply: 1) The instructions on the project say "Records or documents that do not fall into one of the other pre-defined form types, but have names that should be keyed on them, should be classified as "Miscellaneous Documents." so I would say to key it as a Miscellaneous Document type. 2) If you've already keyed the person once and there are no other names on the image then there isn't anything else to key. If there are other names then key the names. This is not what I was doing. So I am now changing to this. PatriciaLewin 25 Oct 2011
Again question: Do I understand you correctly for 2): if there is only the birthdate for the name that was on the image before (no children) we should key as "cover page"?-Ramona 16 January 2012
:A: Yes, this is a cover page. --Paulmd199 16:44, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
Q: This is my first batch of records for this project, and I am unsure how to proceed. I keyed in data from Erganzungsbogen, and there appears to be a page 2? Page one ends with question #7, and page 2 starts with question #8, but there is no option to select page 2 of this form?
- A: The second page of the questionnaire would be classified as a Cover page. -- Wiedwoman 02:09, 21 August 2012 (UTC)
Q: The Fragebogen or/and Ergänzungsbogen have a second page with the signature of the persons concerned. Some keyers have been using Misc. and have been keying the names they could find on that page. As I understand it we do not key anything from this page. I have been choosing the form "cover page". Is that correct? My second question is concerning the second page of ID cards. It has the birth date of the person on it but not the name and sometimes the children's names. As we only key from the page what we see, should we key just the date of birth, but not the name? Of course if children are listed at the bottom they must be keyed with name and date of birth. Thank you for your help. --Elisabeth power 21:18, 13 October 2011 (UTC)
- A: By Anna Fechter (in email) Yes, they should be "Cover pages". We are only keying the first page of both the Erganzüngsbogen and Fragebogen. The signature on the back of the page is the person who administered the questionnaire so we don't want to capture it. --Paulmd199 16:44, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
I know there has been some confusion, we appreciate your patience. We have also clarified this internally. Annafechter 17:13, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
Q: It says that the ID cards might have a second page. Are we to index from the second page or just mark as Cover Page. On mine, it has the name on the 1st page, and the dob, etc., on the second.
Q: The image set I am working on shows the person's name as Siebel Chaskel r. Fenster. On a document with the signature, it is signed Chaskel Siebel r. Fenster. I cannot find what this "r." refers to. Please advise how to enter the "r. Fenster". Thank you!
- A: r - recta, English rect, but I don't know what it means. I would key it as seen. --Elisabeth power 13:15, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- A2: The name after "recte" is the person's "real" surname, in the eyes of the civil authorities. There is occasional discussion of this topic on JewishGen mailing lists. The situation was often that the parents had a religious marriage, but not a civil marriage. A child may have been known by the father's surname, but the civil authorities considered the child illegitimate and recorded the mother's surname as the "correct" name for the child. Mitch
- A3: 'from Anna:' 'I apologize for there being such a delay in my reply. I have neglected my online messaging. :( In regard to which surname. Use the first one listed (In your example I believe this would be Wolf), and then if there is an Alias or Maiden name field enter additional surnames in the appropriate field. Kind regards, Anna '
Q: by patricialewin_1: Under Ergänzungsbogen if the first name is the Jewish Old Age Home or the Jewish Orphanage, do I still label that as head and the name of the second person as relative? I have been putting Judisches Waisenhaus, for example, under the Surname and leaving the Given name blank and not using Head and Relative.
- A: by Anna Fechter: This is an interesting case. We do not need to key the name of the organization but would like to capture the names on the document. Key the names of the individuals and enter Relative in the Relationship field.
Q: by patricialewin_1 As I understand it, the actual images will not be available except ordering through the Holocaust Museum. In some of the Miscellaneous Documents there is a date of death given. Is there any way of capturing this?
- A: by Anna Fechter: For this project there is not a death date field - so no, there isn't a way to capture that information. The USHMM is great to work with and will be able to send documents, at no cost, to those requesting them.
- A: Indeed, I have seen this a lot. It states the age instead of the birthdate as "J." is abbreviation for "Jahre" = "years [old]". In some projects you would key the age, but here we are only supposed to key birthdates, so you mark it blank. -Ramona 19 January 2012
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.