Talk:World Archives Project: USHMM - Kraków, Poland, ID Card Applications for Jews During WWII, 1940-1941 (Part 7)
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.) For instructions on posting a message on the wiki refer to this article.
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
1. re: Population Card Page 1. According to the instruction surnames for Father & Mother to Head can be foud in the row labeled "Imiona rodzicow;" in the column labeled "Mezczyzna." This field contains both parents' given names but not both parents' surnames only woman's maiden name (nazwisko panieńskie). What should we enter in the surname field for Father to Head? Should we mark it blank? This question applies to Father & Mother to Spouse as well. And what about children's surnames? There're not listed anywhere as well. mieszkow'
2. re: Krakow Street Names. 2. Is there a listing of street names for Krawkow which I can check for accuracy. Since the handwriting is not allways easy to read, it would be nice to have something to refer to. The Street Address field does not auto-populate suggestions like the Surname or Given fields do.
3. Population Card Page 1 question- Since the whole document is in Polish, shouldn't we be keying birth months also in Polish? The directions for Population card Page 1 only give German months. -Rebecca 15 April 2014
Q: I have a Karta Wymeldowania which I am presuming is a Residential Questionnaire. It details a Catholic family moving from Krakow to Warsaw. Do I create two records one showing their move from the ghetto area address and one for their new Warsaw address.
- A: No, key them only once with the first address that is noted on the record.
Q: Similarly to question 1, I have a parents names field showing only given names no surnames. do you want me to create a new record for each parent? For posting 2 I use the following link for Krakow Streets http://www.mapofpoland.net/Krakow,map.html#photos
- A: If you can determine that the individual is a male you can copy down the surname. If you can determine that the individual is a female and a maiden name is given (which makes it easier to determine gender) that can be copied down as the father/mother surname.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.