Talk:World Archives Project: U.S., Quaker Colleges Alumni Directories and Yearbooks, 1911-1937
The database contains images from years prior to 1911 and post 1937. They are to be keyed.
Extra Keying Helps
"Rose Poly" is an abbreviation for Rose Polytechnic Institute and is not a name of a person.
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: The residence is listed as, "R 2 Bx 73 W Baden 47469." I looked it up and found that 47469 is the zip code for West Baden Springs, IN. Should I key it as West Baden Springs, IN even though it doesn't really list that? Thanks! --Amanda Payne - Professional Family Trees 18:35, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
- A: The residence city would be "W Baden". The state would not be listed. --Paulmd199 18:46, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
Q: Do we key names in advertisements? For example, the Proprietor's name? Or when a proper name is part of the name of a business? For example, The Geo. Brehm Co.
- A: No, do not key names from advertisements or business names. Only key the names of students and faculty/staff.Annafechter 02:57, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
- A: I think so. --Paulmd199 16:36, 30 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: the pages I'm working on are for various clubs and groups - at the top of the page is a photo with a caption below of their surnames, then below that is a list of officers with complete names. Do I key in the surnames of those in the photo who are NOT officers or just those for whom there are full names?
- A Key all names, but if the same people are referenced in the picture and in the list of officers key them only once. The project instructions state, "If a name appears more than once on the image, and all information is the exact same, key this name only once. If the information differs for identical names, key them as two separate records." Annafechter 02:57, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: Should we enter nicknames (which appear in quotations) as the Given name if none other provided? For example, "Ellie" Woods.
- A: In the absence of the true name, I think it will be acceptable to use the nickname. --Paulmd199 16:36, 30 March 2013 (UTC) Agreed. Annafechter 02:57, 31 March 2013(UTC)
<span style="line-height: 1.5em;" />
Q: Should we enter names of students from other colleges? For example, it is listing the track record holders and has their school in brackets beside their name - "Conrad (Earlham), Blair (Wasbash)" So do we enter both "Conrad" and "Blair", even though Blair is from Wabash College?
- A Yes, I believe you would enter both. SlinkyM
Q: How should we key records for female students which reference their married name? One example is "Hall, Mary '39 see Mary Jane Hall Kuethe".
Q: If a person has 2 spouses listed in directories should there be 2 individual records keyed?
Q: I am keying pages from Who's Who Among Earlhamites and have questions concerning the female names. How would I key the following entry? The data is being keyed as Alumni Page with given name, surname(suffix and prefix also, spouse given and surname, and residence city, state.
Reeves, Elizabeth Cox m Edward Reeves
There are no parenthesis to indicate maiden name, do I list her name as Elizabeth Cox Reeves, or Elizabeth Cox?
Q: My pages have alternate names in parens for many entries. For example, "NACE, Kathleen (Kathleen Taylor)" Should that be Given = "Kathleen Taylor" and Surname = "Nace"? Another example: "NAGY, Peter Samuel (Peter Samuel Marvanyi-Nagy)" Should I key the hyphenated Surname as given in the parens? Or just "Nagy" which seems to be his preference?
Rehling, Nellie see Thomas Does this get keyed as Nellie Rehling or Nellie Thomas?
- A: Only key the primary person.See is a cross reference.
Q: Regarding the issue of how to enter foreign countries in the City/State fields,here is the response from support.
- A:While the box for the State should only be filled out if it is a state or territory of the US, or was at the time, the Residence City has many foreign countries listed off in the dictionary for it, such as Canada or the Canadian Provinces and many other countries listed off, so this is where you should key in the foreign countries, or cities in those foreign countries that are named in the article. --Tim, Customer Solutions Associate, Ancestry.com
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when