Talk:World Archives Project: Tulare County, California, Sheriff's Office and Prison Records, 1874-1963
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Extra Keying Helps
Sheriff's Cash Book is to be keyed as Miscellaneous form type - Anna said so on the message board. --Katerimmer 18:45, 16 March 2013 (UTC)
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
General: Q: Since it seems relevant, especially in considering these are criminal documents, should we be keying Sheriff, Constable, Chief of Police, etc as prefixes? They are not included in the drop down menu.
- A: No, only enter the typical prefixes, Mr, Mrs, Rev, etc, in the Prefix field.
Q: I have pages entitled "Sheriff's Fees and Expenses in Criminal Matters" which I take to be a Fee Book, however the instructions for Fee Books say we are only keying Defendant and Plantiff names. The problem is, I have what looks like jury lists (paid for mileage) which is a wealth of resident data - am I really to ignore all that resident data and only key in P & D names, or is this image not from a Fee Book - should I do this book as Miscellaneous instead? Is this the "Sheriff's Cash Book" referred to above?
- A: These should be classified as a Miscellaneous form type.
Register of Actions
Q: Couples vs Couples: Leota J King and Sydney E King vs. Miranda Fuller and Simeon J Fuller. How many records would this be? I want to make it 4 to reference each plaintiff to each defendant, but something tells me this is wrong. Same issue goes for one child vs both his/her parents: 2 records??
- A: My suggestion would be to enter Leota vs Miranda on one record and then Sydney vs Siemon on a second record. Then all 4 individuals are referenced and would be found during a search. For the one child vs both his parents, I would suggest entering two records, one versus each parent. That way all 3 individuals are referenced. SlinkyM 02:26, 03 April 2013 (UTC)
Q: If the Defendant is listed as "A. H. Williams et al", should "et al" be entered into the Suffix field or be ignored as it is not part of the person's name and just means there are other unnamed Defendants?
- A: Ignore et al -- <a href="User:Wiedwoman">Wiedwoman</a> 02:55, 17 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: I have a court listed on a Register of Action that is not in California The court is in Multnomah County, Oregon. Should the county be written as "Multnomah" or "Multnomah, OR"?
- A: The instructions state to only enter the county, so in this case it would be "Multnomah". --<a href="User:SlinkyM">SlinkyM</a> 02:30, 03 April 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: I have run across a record where the defendant is listed as "Surlock, John Doe One Doe Two". 1) Do I enter two records or one, since there are clearly two defendants but I don't have their names? 2) Do I enter the first name as John Doe or leave it blank?
Register of Convicts
Q: Under what form type should the second page of the Jail Register be classified as? The left hand page of the register has the information that needs to be entered. The second page (right hand) is a continuation of the information for the convict (for example, Residence, Trial Judge, Court, Sentence, etc.). However, we are not entering any of this information. So would this page still be classified as a "Register of Convicts" and we enter no data?
- A: I would class this form as a "cover page" since there is no keyable information. --<a href="User:Wiedwoman">Wiedwoman</a> 20:19, 14 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
- A: It is included in the examples of Cover Pages on the wiki page. --<a href="User:Katerimmer">Katerimmer</a> 13:49, 16 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: I am keying a Jail Register and the second page is not typical. It has photographs of prisoners and delivered date to San Quentin in place of the usual info for that page. I was wondering if I should set form as miscellaneous so I can mark that there are photographs available. Also, is there a way to share images to show what I am talking about?
- A: This should be classified as a Register of Convicts form type as it contains "personal information about a convict or prisoner." You can follow the instructions in this article, World Archives Project: Posting How-tos to post an image on the wiki.
Q: If the name of the convict appears twice on the same register with the same "Received Date", do we enter it as two separate records? Or just as one?
- A: I would only key once. -- <a href="User:Wiedwoman">Wiedwoman</a> 02:55, 17 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: The letters "N M N" appear after the Given names of some convicts whose occupation is Army or Navy. Should these letters be entered in the Suffix field?
- A: the letters may stand for No Middle Name. --<a href="User:Paulmd199">Paulmd199</a> 02:49, 17 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: I have a form that I'm not sure should be Miscellaneous, Fee Book, or Cover Page. It's date is 1925-1926 and is a listing of dates, check numbers, last names only (no first names), and check amounts. How should this be keyed?
- A: If you are unsure of what form type it should be but there is data to be keyed classify it as a Miscellaneous form type
Q: I haven't been, but now I'm wondering if I should have been including business names (especially those containing last names like law firms or retail stores) in the Given Name field. I've been skipping them up to this point, but we'be been instructed to include them in Actions and Fees. lrs
- A: Generally we do not include Business names unless specifically instructed to. For the Miscellaneous records we should not be entering Business names.
Q: I am keying information from a Parole Violator card and the age of the individual is stated followed by a year in parentheses. The year is often prior to the Record Year. Should I key the stated age or calculate the age at the time of the record? An example I have is a Record Year of 1913 and the individual's age is indicated as "Age 45 (1910)".
- A: Age should only be keyed as stated and not calculated. --<a href="User:SlinkyM">SlinkyM</a> 03:54, 20 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: true names listed in alias column... does one switch the registered name out, or just list the "true" name as an alias?
- A: I would key the true name in the name columns, and put the alias in the alias column --<a href="User:Paulmd199">Paulmd199</a> 00:26, 21 March 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: keying wanted posters, etc... how do we handle multiple aliases... and age ranges... can we infer sex from pronoun usage?)
- A: Key the first alias only. I believe it will be OK to infer gender from pronouns like him or her, or from prefixes like Mr, Miss or Mrs. I have not found an answer to the age range question yet. --<a href="User:Paulmd199">Paulmd199</a> </dd>
Q: I cannot find any place that says whose names are to be keyed from miscellaneous records. Obviously the criminals, but what if their parents are listed on a wanted poster? Do we key them? Do we key names of victims? What about sheriffs and other officers of the law?
- A: I would suggest keying all names from the Miscellaneous records as the instructions state to type names, etc. from the information that is available. --<a href="User:SlinkyM">SlinkyM</a> 02:36, 02 April 2013 (UTC) </dd>
Q: When the form should be "index", I have just one block of space and can't seem to type anything in it. Is there a solution to that or should I type it as miscellaneous?
- A: We are not keying any information form the index pages on this project. So you aren't able to enter anything for that form type. --<a href="User:Paulmd199">Paulmd199</a> 16:26, 18 April 2013 (UTC) </dd>
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Seeing page with no header/title. Contains four columns of names (Last, first) Month and Year - nothing else. Is it correct to assume that all names should be keyed on Miscellaneous form. Average page contains approx. 129 names. Thanks.
Ignore question - found the answer