Talk:World Archives Project: Tulare County, California, Sheriff's Office and Prison Records, 1874-1963
Extra Keying Helps
Sheriff's Cash Book is to be keyed as Miscellaneous form type - Anna said so on the message board. --Katerimmer 18:45, 16 March 2013 (UTC)
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Register of Actions
Q: Couples vs Couples: Leota J King and Sydney E King vs. Miranda Fuller and Simeon J Fuller. How many records would this be? I want to make it 4 to reference each plaintiff to each defendant, but something tells me this is wrong. Same issue goes for one child vs both his/her parents: 2 records??
Q: If the Defendant is listed as "A. H. Williams et al", should "et al" be entered into the Suffix field or be ignored as it is not part of the person's name and just means there are other unnamed Defendants?
- A: Ignore et al -- Wiedwoman 02:55, 17 March 2013 (UTC)
Register of Convicts
Q: Under what form type should the second page of the Jail Register be classified as? The left hand page of the register has the information that needs to be entered. The second page (right hand) is a continuation of the information for the convict (for example, Residence, Trial Judge, Court, Sentence, etc.). However, we are not entering any of this information. So would this page still be classified as a "Register of Convicts" and we enter no data?
- A: I would class this form as a "cover page" since there is no keyable information. --Wiedwoman 20:19, 14 March 2013 (UTC)
- A: It is included in the examples of Cover Pages on the wiki page. --Katerimmer 13:49, 16 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: If the name of the convict appears twice on the same register with the same "Received Date", do we enter it as two separate records? Or just as one?
- A: I would only key once. -- Wiedwoman 02:55, 17 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: The letters "N M N" appear after the Given names of some convicts whose occupation is Army or Navy. Should these letters be entered in the Suffix field?
- A: the letters may stand for No Middle Name. --Paulmd199 02:49, 17 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: I haven't been, but now I'm wondering if I should have been including business names (especially those containing last names like law firms or retail stores) in the Given Name field. I've been skipping them up to this point, but we'be been instructed to include them in Actions and Fees. lrs
Q: I am keying information from a Parole Violator card and the age of the individual is stated followed by a year in parentheses. The year is often prior to the Record Year. Should I key the stated age or calculate the age at the time of the record? An example I have is a Record Year of 1913 and the individual's age is indicated as "Age 45 (1910)".
- A: Age should only be keyed as stated and not calculated. --SlinkyM 03:54, 20 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: true names listed in alias column... does one switch the registered name out, or just list the "true" name as an alias?
- A: I would key the true name in the name columns, and put the alias in the alias column --Paulmd199 00:26, 21 March 2013 (UTC)
Q: keying wanted posters, etc... how do we handle multiple aliases... and age ranges... can we infer sex from pronoun usage?)
- A: Key the first alias only. I believe it will be OK to infer gender from pronouns like him or her, or from prefixes like Mr, Miss or Mrs. I have not found an answer to the age range question yet. --Paulmd199
Q: I cannot find any place that says whose names are to be keyed from miscellaneous records. Obviously the criminals, but what if their parents are listed on a wanted poster? Do we key them? Do we key names of victims? What about sheriffs and other officers of the law?
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.