Talk:World Archives Project: Surrey, England, Records of Freeholders, 1696-1824
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Some keyers are missing the parish name - if you don't key this, it can have a heavy impact on your accuracy stats as it should be keyed on every record to which it applies. --Katerimmer 19:02, 17 September 2013 (UTC)
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
What do you key in for the parish if the image that you are keying starts in the middle of a parish that began on a previous page? <a href="User:Bnelson715">Bnelson715</a> 20:02, 23 September 2013 (UTC)
- A: You would leave it blank, unless the parish name is actually shown on the image that you are keying. --<a href="User:Katerimmer">Katerimmer</a> 21:40, 23 September 2013 (UTC)
I am currently keying a page of what is obviously lists Southwark freeholders as it includes those resident in St Saviour and St Olave parishes. However the first 'Parish' listed is St John, which doesn't appear on the list of expected parishes. It is obviously St John Horsleydown, and Horsleydown doesn't appear either. Should I key the parish as (a) St John; (b) Horsleydown; (c) Southwark St John; or what? --<a href="User:Rob1776">Rob1776</a> 05:59, 26 September 2013 (UTC)
- A: Key as seen, i.e. St John. --<a href="User:Katerimmer">Katerimmer</a> 06:53, 26 September 2013 (UTC)
Q: I have an image where there is no year on the page. Do I leave it blank or look at previous image to get the year? Rainbow46uk
- A: You would leave it blank. We never use information from previous image -- unless told to do so in the instructions. --<a href="User:Wiedwoman">Wiedwoman</a> 20:53, 2 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: I note what reviewers have been saying about the omission of 'Esquire' in some keying. In my current set I have an 'Esquire', but also two instances of a name followed by 'Esquires' with no indication how far down the page this might refer. Would I be correct if I only key one Esquire, as this is all I can be certain of?
- A:Yes. <a href="User:Afechter1">Afechter1</a> 16:52, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
- A2: In general there are braces or dittos (abbreviated do) that indicate how many Esquires there are. --<a href="User:Paulmd199">Paulmd199</a> 17:56, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: I am keying a page which has both a section header and a list of freeholders on the same page. Do I ignore the section header as changing the form to type 4 then means I can't key the freeholders
- A: You will want to chose the form type that allows you to key the freeholders. --Paulmd199 00:33, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.